A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Remove Text Boxes, keep the text



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 25th 12, 10:37 PM
JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

Some Pdf-to-Word/RTF converters produce documents with hundreds of text boxes that each contain a piece of the text.

Rather than laboriously extracting their content one box at a time, is there a way to automatically remove all the boxes and keep the text (I'm using Word 2003) ?
Ads
  #2  
Old January 26th 12, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,626
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

If they're really text boxes, your best bet is a macro, but if in fact
they're frames, then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q will usually remove them (since a frame
is part of paragraph formatting and Ctrl+Q will remove it unless it's
defined in the paragraph style). In either case, however, the text box or
frame is going to be anchored to an ordinary text paragraph, and the order
of the paragraphs when text boxes or frames are removed will depend on the
order in which they were anchored. This can mean that the text will become
jumbled.

If they are in fact text boxes, and if you have Word 2003 or earlier, you
have one option that is not available in Word 2007 or 2010. On the Text Box
tab of the Format Text Box dialog, there is an option to Convert to Frame.
Once you've converted the text box to a frame, you can remove it as above.
If you had to do this for every text box, that wouldn't be very helpful,
but, as it happens, once you've done one, you can select another and press
F4 (Repeat), then another, F4, and so on until you're done. Once all the
text boxes have been converted to frames, then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q will remove
them.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"JPh12" wrote in message
...

Some Pdf-to-Word/RTF converters produce documents with hundreds of text
boxes that each contain a piece of the text.

Rather than laboriously extracting their content one box at a time, is
there a way to automatically remove all the boxes and keep the text (I'm
using Word 2003) ?




--
JPh12


  #3  
Old January 29th 12, 10:07 PM
JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
If they're really text boxes, your best bet is a macro, but if in fact
they're frames, then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q will usually remove them (since a frame
is part of paragraph formatting and Ctrl+Q will remove it unless it's
defined in the paragraph style). In either case, however, the text box or
frame is going to be anchored to an ordinary text paragraph, and the order
of the paragraphs when text boxes or frames are removed will depend on the
order in which they were anchored. This can mean that the text will become
jumbled.

If they are in fact text boxes, and if you have Word 2003 or earlier, you
have one option that is not available in Word 2007 or 2010. On the Text Box
tab of the Format Text Box dialog, there is an option to Convert to Frame.
Once you've converted the text box to a frame, you can remove it as above.
If you had to do this for every text box, that wouldn't be very helpful,
but, as it happens, once you've done one, you can select another and press
F4 (Repeat), then another, F4, and so on until you're done. Once all the
text boxes have been converted to frames, then Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q will remove
them.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org
[/i][/color]
Thanks for this detailed answer, Mrs. Barnhill. They are indeed text boxes and I did find a macro that removes them all.
  #4  
Old August 24th 13, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

hi!
use kutools for word!
http://www.extendoffice.com/download...-for-word.html

after install free version of it, open the doc and in kutool tab, in "remove" pert click "more" then find "remove all tex boxes" and enjoy!
  #5  
Old March 28th 14, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

Crtl+A, Ctrl+Q saved me SO MUCH trouble. Thank you!!! (Using 2010)
  #6  
Old February 4th 15, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

None of the above methods worked for me. I found a solution that works if you have Adobe Acrobat.

Save the Word document as a PDF. Choose "Save as", "More options", "Rich text format". Save. Open the RTF document. If everything looks good, save it as a Word document.

Hope that was helpful!
  #7  
Old May 28th 15, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 5:58:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
None of the above methods worked for me. I found a solution that works if you have Adobe Acrobat.

Save the Word document as a PDF. Choose "Save as", "More options", "Rich text format". Save. Open the RTF document. If everything looks good, save it as a Word document.

Hope that was helpful!


I cannot express to you how thankful I am!!! Dot Meindok, Esq.
  #8  
Old June 5th 15, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

Thank u so much Suzanne... It worked just like magic... U can send me more useful information on
  #9  
Old October 3rd 15, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Remove Text Boxes, keep the text

On Friday, August 23, 2013 at 6:27:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
hi!
use kutools for word!
http://www.extendoffice.com/download...-for-word.html

after install free version of it, open the doc and in kutool tab, in "remove" pert click "more" then find "remove all tex boxes" and enjoy!


Kutools is not free. You get a free trial period only.
  #10  
Old February 22nd 16, 10:37 PM
Michael Tardie Michael Tardie is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Default

A macro from Alan Wyatt will also work; it will remove the text boxes from your documents, extract their contents, and insert the labels "Textbox start" and "Textbox end" around the where the text box used to be.

See Removing All Text Boxes In a Document at -

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T009169_R..._Document.html



Michael Tardie
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove text boxes Sherry Microsoft Word Help 2 November 27th 07 07:09 AM
Remove text boxes angbob Page Layout 3 October 22nd 07 11:06 PM
Aligning check boxes and text boxes with regular text ssbell Microsoft Word Help 1 March 28th 07 02:12 AM
Can I hide the text boxes when printing? I used text boxes to ove. Jaz Microsoft Word Help 1 May 24th 06 12:29 PM
remove all text boxes Alan Smithee Jr. New Users 2 April 29th 06 04:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.