Can't change stubborn formatting (serious problem)

Old July 8th 19, 10:06 AM
Fresie Grant Fresie Grant is offline

Default Can't change stubborn formatting (serious problem)

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate your help!

I seem to have a serious problem with a .docx document I've received from a fellow worker. My job was to edit and format it. I use MS Word 2019. I changed the document to a different format - it appeared fine - edited it and started preparing it for publication. That's when I discovered that little bits of the text here and there were still in the old format. I only noticed because it's TNR 11 pt. which is visually different from the final formatting.

I highlighted one such bit and tried to change it. As if! I applied styles - same result, the old formatting appears frozen and won't budge. I used Ctrl+spacebar, Shift+F1 and Ctrl+Shift+N - but it still won't change. The "Reveal formatting" box only shows my final formatting, no mention of any TNR stuff. In the end, I used Search to look for any instances of TNR in the text and it says, "no results found" even though the little font box does show that the highlighted bit is in TNR.

Any ideas how to fix this? The old formatting seems to be frozen to certain bits of the text. If it's any help, all such instances occur after either a quotation mark or an M-dash. The rest seems fine.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by Fresie Grant : July 8th 19 at 10:09 AM.
Old July 8th 19, 12:00 PM
PeterJGJames PeterJGJames is offline

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresie Grant View Post
[...]

One old tip that might just work for you is to save the document to RTF close down Word and load the RTF file back into Word and save to PDF - this does not always work, but worth a try.