Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrankMcL FrankMcL is offline

Default tag a document with a follow up reminder

In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How exactly did you do this in Word/Excel 2003? Are you sure you're not
referring to an Outlook capability?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you referring to comments? In Word 2007, you insert them via the Review
tab. Click New Comment in the Comments group.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"FrankMcL" wrote:

In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrankMcL FrankMcL is offline

It might have been. The Icon on the tool bar in Excel and Word was a page
with a red check mark. You clicked on it and it created a reminder that would
pop up at the designed time. You could click mon the document icon and it
would open. I found it to be a very useful tool.
--
FrankMcL

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah. The capability is present only when you're sending email.

You'll need to do the following in both Excel and Word, right-click the
Quick Access Toolbar, and choose Customize...

Set Choose commands from: to All Commands.

In the list of commands, find "Send to Mail Recipient". Click on it, then
click Add.

Click OK to close the dialog.

Use the resulting tool when you want to send the current document to an
email recipient. The Followup tool will be present in the email toolbar.

Note that Word and Excel behave differently with this tool. Word will add
the email headers to the current document (clicking the tool again will
toggle the email headers off). The first time for a given sheet, Excel will
prompt asking whether you want to send the current sheet or if you want the
file to be used as an attachment. If you say Current Sheet, the email
headers are added. If you change your mind, clicking the tool toggles the
email headers off again.

--

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't
find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrankMcL FrankMcL is offline

I am not trying to send email!
In 2003 you could add a reminder (just like any other reminder you create)
that would remind you on a future date to look at/ work on the
document/spreadsheet. The reminder would contain an icon that when clicked on
would open the document.
--
FrankMcL

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have Word 2003 open right in front of me. I have no such tool on any of my
toolbars in Word 2003, nor anything that looks related in the list of what
can be added to the toolbars. I wonder if perhaps you had/have a add-in that
provides this functionality.

Word 2003 does not have the capability to provide reminders. It has no
scheduling abilities. "just like any other reminder you create" is not
something any version of Word has ever been able to do. Word does not create
reminders.

Outlook does do scheduling/reminders, which led me to think you were talking
about using Word/Excel to send email.

Where did you see this tool? Which toolbar was it on?

--

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't
find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I suspect you are thinking of SharePoint functionality. Was the icon for
adding a reminder a clipboard with a red checkmark along with other commands
such as Status, Members, Documents, Links, Document Information?

When you open a document from a SharePoint site you can use the Document
Management task pane to assign a task to a document for either yourself or
other members. To access the Document Management task pane in Word 2007,
click the Microsoft Office Button, point to Server, and then click Document
Management Information. Note that Server will only appear if you have a
document open from a SharePoint site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't
find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Given that he said "tool bar," and given that the identical SP options are
available in Word 2007 (and appear automatically--at least here--when
editing a document that's on a SharePoint site)... I concluded that he was
referring to something else.

It will be interesting to see if we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

--

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet.
Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrankMcL FrankMcL is offline

I found it. You were right...it IS an Outlook command but it IS available to
Word and Excel.
It's called "Create Task"
Give it a spin, I find it to be an invaluable tool.
--
FrankMcL

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wondered if that might be what you meant, but the "reminder" description
had me convinced that you were talking about an add-in. I'm glad what you
wanted wasn't retired from Word.

Cheers,

--

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet. Can't
find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I considered that too but I don't see the Document Management task pane
automatically display Word 2007 when opening a SharePoint document. Now, if
I click Options in the Document Management TP and elect to show the TP when
opening a SharePoint document it will display but that option appears to be
turned off by default. I don't recall what the default was in previous
versions. I seem to recall the TP would automatically display.

In any event, I see Frank found the command he was looking for. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"FrankMcL" wrote in message
In 2003 you could add a reminder to a document or spread sheet.
Can't find
this tool in 2007
--
FrankMcL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrankMcL FrankMcL is offline

No...it's a command called MS Office Outlook Task which you can use in Word
and Excel to remind you to look at and work on a document at a date in the
futre. The reminder pops up on that date with an icon that, when clicked on,
returns you to the file you were working on.
I find it to be a very valuable tool.
--
FrankMcL