Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deFon deFon is offline

Default How do I add swedish dictionary to norwegian ver of Word2003?

I am trying to install a swedish dictionary on a norwegian version of Word
2003. I tried downloading a .dic from a website, but it does not seem to be
compatible.
Is there an easy way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If your regional copy of Word does not include the Swedish language proofing
tools - see
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...fingtools.mspx

deFon wrote:
I am trying to install a swedish dictionary on a norwegian version of
Word 2003. I tried downloading a .dic from a website, but it does not
seem to be compatible.
Is there an easy way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deFon deFon is offline

"deFon" wrote:

I am trying to install a swedish dictionary on a norwegian version of Word
2003. I tried downloading a .dic from a website, but it does not seem to be
compatible.
Is there an easy way to do this?

We have fully licensed versions of MS Word in both Norwegian and Swedish. We
only need to add a swedish dictionary to the Norwegian versions. IIs there a
way to copy the dictionary from the swedish version to the norwegian version?
I feel it's abit of a waste to pay $100 for 50 languages that are not used.

Is there a way to work around this?

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?ZGVGb24=?=,

We have fully licensed versions of MS Word in both Norwegian and Swedish. We
only need to add a swedish dictionary to the Norwegian versions. IIs there a
way to copy the dictionary from the swedish version to the norwegian version?

OK, this does make a difference. After you've installed the Norwegian version
and opened Word once (this initiates a few things). Put the Swedish CD in.
Choose a "Custom" type of setup so that you can specify exactly what is
installed.

In the lists, make sure everything is set with the "red X" (not available). Now
look for the Proofing tools (they're in one of the two "Office" categories -
Shared Tools, I think). Set the proofing tools you want to install to "Run from
my Computer". Now let Setup finish executing (and watch very carefully what it
tells you it's going to install, because it may decide you really do want
something that you do not!)

Check in the START/Programs/Microsoft Office tree for the Microsoft Office
Language Tools. Make sure Norwegian is in the list of activated languages.

Start Word, type some text, select it, then Tools/Language/Set language and
choose "Norwegian". Will spell check work?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

"In the lists, make sure everything is set with the "red X" (not available).
"

Won't that uninstall those items that are already installed? Not having done
this, I hasten to add, I would have thought that the setup routine would
know what was installed and what wasn't?

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi ?B?ZGVGb24=?=,

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deFon deFon is offline

Wouldn't, if you don't make sure the red X is set at everything, the swedish
version install over the norwegian one?

I will wait until this last issue is resolved until I try what suggested.

/deFon

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

"In the lists, make sure everything is set with the "red X" (not available).
"

Won't that uninstall those items that are already installed? Not having done
this, I hasten to add, I would have thought that the setup routine would
know what was installed and what wasn't?

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi ?B?ZGVGb24=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Graham,

"In the lists, make sure everything is set with the "red X" (not available).
"

Won't that uninstall those items that are already installed? Not having done
this, I hasten to add, I would have thought that the setup routine would
know what was installed and what wasn't?

It shouldn't. We aren't going over the Control Panel and choosing a
"CHange/Remove". This is a new setup. Everyone who's ever tried it has never
reported a problem in this regard (although the proofign tools haven't always
all worked on the first try).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?ZGVGb24=?=,

Wouldn't, if you don't make sure the red X is set at everything, the swedish
version install over the norwegian one?

No, it would install - for the most part - in parallel. But shared DLLs would
be overwritten, so you'd end up with mixed language messages (or worse).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deFon deFon is offline

The installation is not completely new.

We are adding the swedish dictionary from the swedish CD to an already
existing Norwegian CD. But that goes for the same, right?
deFon

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah! New Setup! - I missed that bit

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi Graham,

"In the lists, make sure everything is set with the "red X" (not
available). "

Won't that uninstall those items that are already installed? Not
having done this, I hasten to add, I would have thought that the
setup routine would know what was installed and what wasn't?

It shouldn't. We aren't going over the Control Panel and choosing a
"CHange/Remove". This is a new setup. Everyone who's ever tried it
has never reported a problem in this regard (although the proofign
tools haven't always all worked on the first try).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi deFon,

The installation is not completely new.

We are adding the swedish dictionary from the swedish CD to an already
existing Norwegian CD. But that goes for the same, right?

It shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're careful to select only the
proofing tools to be installed :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deFon deFon is offline

You guys have been of great help

Thanks Cindy and Graham!

deFon

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi deFon,

The installation is not completely new.

We are adding the swedish dictionary from the swedish CD to an already
existing Norwegian CD. But that goes for the same, right?

It shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're careful to select only the
proofing tools to be installed :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What Graham meant is that the Swedish installation is a "new setup," as if
Office were not installed at all, and you are installing *only* the proofing
tools, not anything else.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah! New Setup! - I missed that bit

Hi Graham,