Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

Default how can I count number of bold-face recipe entries in Word list?

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am compiling?
Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically keep track of new entries
and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or micro for keeping a running count?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

dallf,

Two questions: what version of Word do you have, and are you using styles? I
ask this because if you have Word XP (aka 2002) or Word 2003, then you could
do this without any code at all.

Create a paragraph style for recipes. Then turn on the Styles and Formatting
taskpane and click on the style--it will say "select all XX instances of the
style" where the "XX" is a number. Then you'll know how many recipes there
are.

Another way would be to write a simple macro that would tell you when you
click a button or something. But again, that would really depend on you using
a paragraph style for the recipes.

Not sure if you're familiar with styles, but if not, I recommend going to
microsoft.com/office and checking them out--they'll help you in all sorts of
ways!

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am compiling?
Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically keep track of new entries
and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

Default how can I count number of bold-face recipe entries in Word lis

I have Word 2002, and never heard of styles.

Each entry is:
1. a boldface (BF) entry name,
2. a regular, non-BF roman 12 point description
3. a reference to other recipes, in SMALL CAPS

So, if I select a sample entry, and open FORMATSTYLES, it says the font is
BF, but only the recipe name is BF. I am trying to keep a running count of
deleted and added recipes by counting all the BF entry names. Not sure how to
proceed.

Thanks!

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am compiling?
Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically keep track of new entries
and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot possibly use Word and not know about styles - all formatting is
performed with styles. the secret here is to create your own styles to lay
out the document based on the formatting in the document. Put your cursor in
a menu title paragraph. Format style new - name the paragraph style
Recipe Name or somesuch. Save the style and add it to the template.
Now apply that style to all your recipe titles.
You can then create a table of contents based on that style.
And please take the trouble to learn about styles as they are crucial to
Word editing.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically keep
track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or micro
for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

This doesnt seem to be working -- is this approach as time-consuming as
counting entries one by one?

I followed Graham's steps: "put cursor in a menu title paragraph. Format
style new - name the paragraph style Recipe Name or somesuch. Save the
style and add it to the template. Now apply that style to all your recipe
titles."

I guess a "menu title" is an entry; I did as you instructed -- do I have to
manually apply the new style to every single entry throughout? And from here,
how do get a word count of all entries? Thanks again.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically keep
track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or micro
for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Apply that new style to each recipe heading, then create a table of
contents - insert reference index and tables table of contents
options uncheck outline levels pick your new style and make it TOC level
1. OK to create an index ( a table of contents).

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

I have several hundred entries; the book is nearly finished.
Will count and keep track manually. Maybe would have worked at the outset
but sounds laborious for a 181-page document. Thanks for your help.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

*If only your headings are bold*, you could search for bold font and replace
with your style using the replace function.
CTRL+H - click the more button. With your cursor in the 'Find what box' Type
CTRL+B (bold). It will say Bold under the box. Move your cursor to the
replace with box - type CTRL+B then format style and pick your style from
the list.

Select 'replace all' and all your headings will be changed. Obviously if you
have used bold face elsewhere this isn't going to work as easily - though
you can step through the document using find next and just replace the
required ones, which will be faster than any manual approach.

Then you can create the TOC.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag,
or micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If all the headings are formatted in a specific way, and you have "Keep
track of formatting" checked on the Edit tab of Tools | Options, then when
you select the formatting in the Styles and Formatting task pane, there will
be an option to "Select all x instances," where x is the number of
paragraphs with that formatting.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

Thanks.

Yes, all the entries are in boldface (but so is other stuff like question
marks for my editor and some references, but eventually there'll be fewer of
those).

When I open Styles and click on Bold, Normal, it highlights all boldface
icopy n the document, but I don;t see "Select all X instances" anywhere,
though I inderstand your approach here.

I have Word 2002, maybe it's less advanced

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag, or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you click the arrow beside the formatting entry in the Styles and
Formatting pane, you will see "Select all x instances."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If all the headings are formatted in a specific way, and you have "Keep
track of formatting" checked on the Edit tab of Tools | Options, then

when
you select the formatting in the Styles and Formatting task pane, there

will
be an option to "Select all x instances," where x is the number of
paragraphs with that formatting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag,

or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dallf dallf is offline

Excellent! Got a count. But want to weed out other boldface words--probably
ca 500 of this tally fit that description.

Can I calculate how many boldface non-entries there are throughout the book,
and subtract from first figure for entry total?

"dallf" wrote:

How can I keep count of the entries in a Word recipe list I am
compiling? Each entry is in bold face. I need to automatically
keep track of new entries and deletions. Is there a code, tag,

or
micro for keeping a running count?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This really comes back to the fact that you would be a lot better off if you
used a specific style for the headings. Then you could count instances of
that specific style.