Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HumorMe407 HumorMe407 is offline

Default Why do tables in Word 2003 save as Access 2003 files?

Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database files? It
doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word document. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The tables that you are talking about are obviously ones created as a
mailmerge datasource. You can just create the data directly in a table in
Word, or to get the data from the datasource that you have already created
into a table in Word, use a Directory type mailmerge main document with a
one row table in that main document into the cells of which you insert the
merge fields. Execute the merge to a new document and then insert a row at
the top of the table into the cells of which you enter field names.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"HumorMe407" wrote in message
Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database files?
It
doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word document. Please
help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HumorMe407 HumorMe407 is offline

Mail Merge tables have been created before in the Word program. However, the
tables being referenced in my question are addresses, but are not meant for
mail mergers. It seems as though Word thinks the tables are meant for mail
merge and thus save as a Acccess database. Do I have the option to just save
it as a Word document?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are the "tables" created as mail merge data sources?

"HumorMe407" wrote in message
Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database files?

It
doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word document. Please

help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the table had been created as a table in a Word document, you would be
able to save it as a Word document, but if you created the table using the
data entry form of the Mail Merge Wizard, then I suspect you'll have to save
it as a mail merge data source and then create the table with a mail merge.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are the "tables" created as mail merge data sources?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"HumorMe407" wrote in message
Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database

files?
It
doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word document.

Please
help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have never known Word attempt to save a standard table created in a Word
document as anything other than a Word document. Check your file save as
options.

Word doesn't (by default at least) have the ability to save a document in
Access (MDB) format. The only time Word would save as MDB format would be if
you created the address list from the merge wizard. To convert that back to
a Word document you would have to use the old Mail Merge Helper to edit the
merge data file (see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm ) then convert the
comma delimiyte file produced to a table
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

I suspect what is going on here is a registration issue - repair your Office
installation and see 'How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening
files'
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are the "tables" created as mail merge data sources?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"HumorMe407" wrote in message
Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database
files? It doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word
document. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HumorMe407 HumorMe407 is offline

Everyone, thank you for your replies. Graham, the first link in your reply
does not seem to be working.

The users that I am supporting (as I am help desk staff) claim that this did
not use to be an issue, they used to be able to create address lists in Word
2003 using mail merge, and it saved as a Word Doc. I wonder if this was a
different version of Word, or if Office updates changed the way some of the
wizards worked?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are the "tables" created as mail merge data sources?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"HumorMe407" wrote in message
Why are tables created in Word 2003 saving as Access 2003 database
files? It doesnt even give the option to save the file as a Word
document. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The link works fine (though I did update the header earlier to include the
Christmas logo) so you may have tried during the update. In any case itis
linked from the Word Pages of my web site.

That behaviour was associated with Word 2000. It changed with Word 2002 and
was retained with 2003. As I indicated earlier you can convert the address
list to a Word document using the old merge helper.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are the "tables" created as mail merge data sources?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"HumorMe407" wrote in
message ...