Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joelle Faulks

Default Can't find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet Via Converter" as data sourc

I have a user who used to use Word to merge to very large excel files and
when selecting data source had to select Microsoft Excel Worksheet Via
Converter as datasource type. Since upgrading to Office 2003 we do not have
that option any longer. I have made sure that all filters and converters
are installed. I have also installed the converter pack for 2003 and still
do not have this option.

The reason my user has used this datasource type is it prevents a problem
with very large merges to envelopes messing up the addresses. The merge
goes along fine for so long and then then all of a sudden the city, state and
zip from one of the addresses starts to print on the remaining addresses in
addition to the address that prints. So in other words, we have addresses
that have 2 cities, 2 states and 2 zips.

Example:

Name
Street
Sherburne, NY 13460
Earlville, NY 13332

Splitting these populations up so that the run is shorter each time does not
work. We have tested this with Excel and DDE types for .xls and neither
work. Merging MS Word to .xls spreadsheets. I would welcome any
suggestions on how to deal with this.

We have Windows XP SP2 -- Office 2003 SP1
Joelle Faulks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab and check
the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. After doing that,
when you attach the data source, you will be presented with a number of
options for the way in which the connection to the data source will be made.
Maybe one or the other of those will overcome your problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Joelle Faulks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Or maybe grab the old converter via the link from my web site
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. After
doing that, when you attach the data source, you will be
presented with a number of options for the way in which the
connection to the data source will be made. Maybe one or the other of
those will overcome your problem.

"Joelle Faulks" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joelle Faulks

Default Can't find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet Via Converter" as data s

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your speedy reply. I downloaded the one I thought should do
the trick and "Excel Converter for Word" and unzipped the file and inserted
it into the directory it asked me to. I then tried it and do not find the
"Microsoft Excel Worksheet Via converter" as an option. Do I need to do
anything more? Or perhaps I have the wrong file? The name of the file is
excel32. The other option that Doug gave me didn't give me any more options
than I had before. None of them worked previously.

I have already tried the Office Converter Pack that you have as the
Supplementary filter Packs link.

Joelle

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Or maybe grab the old converter via the link from my web site
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You will have to close and restart Word to activate the filter, then if you
have the confirm conversions at open option selected - the Microsoft Excel
Worksheet Via converter option should be available.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Or maybe grab the old converter via the link from my web site
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joelle Faulks

Hi Graham,

Well, I can see converters -- I hadn't selected show all before -- she is
still not seeing the one she wanted. We tried a few others. In the
conversation I find that she is using a database that comes from Crystal
Reports that she puts into Excel and then merges with Word. I had her try
the OLE DB Database file option and it seemed to work for her. For now
anyway. I am wondering if there is a better way to merge directly from the
Crystal Reports file without having to do the Excel step.

Joelle

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Or maybe grab the old converter via the link from my web site
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab