Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Default Word 2007 Mail Merge w/Outlook doesn't show all fields

Wow! I am just amazed that Microsoft still hasn't done anything to make this
process easier. I am trying to set up a simple form file in Word 2007 that
gives me the option to select a contact from Outlook 2007 contacts and merge
the file.

WHen I click Select Recipients from the Ribbon I only get a handful of
fields from Outlook. How do I get access to ALL the contact fields?

THanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It was ever thus! Start the merge from Outlook
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Deb wrote:
Wow! I am just amazed that Microsoft still hasn't done anything to
make this process easier. I am trying to set up a simple form file
in Word 2007 that gives me the option to select a contact from
Outlook 2007 contacts and merge the file.

WHen I click Select Recipients from the Ribbon I only get a handful of
fields from Outlook. How do I get access to ALL the contact fields?

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Thanks, Graham. I have read those articles, but don't -- even if using the
Helper -- see how to find the Outlook contacts and get access to ALL the
fields, not just the small subset they populate by default.

I've tried browsing to the Outlook file location of:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Out look1.pst and it gives me
an error saying "Word Failed Reading from this File. Please restore the
network connection or replace the floppy disk and retry."

This is just way too convoluted. Even when you start a merge from Outlook
you still hvae to already have the primary file set up with the fields you
want to merge with. I simply want to create that primary file.

Deb wrote:
Wow! I am just amazed that Microsoft still hasn't done anything to
make this process easier. I am trying to set up a simple form file
in Word 2007 that gives me the option to select a contact from
Outlook 2007 contacts and merge the file.

WHen I click Select Recipients from the Ribbon I only get a handful of
fields from Outlook. How do I get access to ALL the contact fields?

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to read them again - especially the first one!
Word cannot open the PST file. Only Outlook can do that.
As for the 'primary file' you don't have to have the pre-configured. You can
start from a blank document.