Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed perplexed is offline

Default Spell check stopped working in Word 2007

The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the dictionary
to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've already tried all
the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check if the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override" exists and if it does delete it.

If that is not the problem

Office Button Word Options Add Ins Manage (select disabled items)
Click on the English dictionary and re-enable it.
Close and re-open Word and Outlook.

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pensio pensio is offline

The behavior looks like that you have a crash in English (U.S.) speller and
it got disabled to prevent more crash. Please try other applications such as
PowerPoint to see if English (U.S.) speller is still working. If yes,
Graham's suggestion for reenable speller in Word is correct.

"
--
Thank you,
Pensio

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryC MaryC is offline

Hi! Could someone please tell me where i find this registry key because I'm
having problems with my spell checher - it's not working! Thanks

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm demonstrates how to access
the registry, which has an Explorer like dialog. Locate the key IF PRESENT
and delete it.

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pensio pensio is offline

1. From Start button Run
2. Type regedit
3. Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0

--
Thank you,
Pensio

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryC MaryC is offline

Do I delete the whole 1.0 file??
thanks for the help!

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

File? With 1.0 selected in the left window you can delete that and Word will
rebuild the entry - however the errant entry that causes the problem is

\Override\en-US

If that exists, delete it. If not, deleting the whole key is unlikely to be
of additional benefit.

MaryC wrote:
Do I delete the whole 1.0 file??
thanks for the help!

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English
(US) dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I
set the dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it
works ok. I've already tried all the suggestions I can find on
line to fix. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen H. Jen H. is offline

Thank you so so so much!! I tried just about everything before I found this,
I just hope the other registry key I deleted doesn't screw something up...

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dazmiq dazmiq is offline

I'm using Word2007 with English (Australia) on Vista Ultimate and my spell /
grammar checker is not working, have tried both suggestions - i.e the
registry key has no "Override" that I can delete and Office Button Word
Options Add Ins Manage (select disabled items) has no items displayed
that I can enable - and the spell checker seems to be working fine in
PowerPoint2007.

So I'm still seeking a solution.

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lotling Lotling is offline

On the bottom status bar, left click on the language, select English (AUS),
untick spelling & grammer and tick detect language. Select default then yes
to the message.

hope this works

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
larry larry is offline

Graham,

I have tried everything you suggested and I am NOT getting spell checker to
work. I do not have the add-in to disable it--it does not exist. My spell
checker does not underline words that are obviously mispelled and when you
click on spell check, it does work but it does not correct anything. It just
reports that spell checking is done. Can you help?

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is your entire document in the same Set Language as the dictionary
you're using? (Ctrl-A, choose the language in Review tab Set
Language).

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
It won't if that's all you deleted.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. *It no longer finds any spelling errors. *If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. *I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. *Any
suggestions?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
larry larry is offline

Still not working. I have set it to en and set it to another language and
then back to english just to try and reset it but still not working.

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. It no longer finds any spelling errors. If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. Any
suggestions?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"en" by itself isn't a Set Language option -- if you're looking at the
square icon near the right end of the status bar at the bottom, that's
not a Word function but a Windows function.

Perplexed wrote:
The spell checker in Word 2007 stopped working with the English (US)
dictionary. *It no longer finds any spelling errors. *If I set the
dictionary to English (Canadian) or (Australian), it works ok. *I've
already tried all the suggestions I can find on line to fix. *Any
suggestions?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mitch Mitch is offline

I am having the same problem only it will not work with any English option (I
have it switched to English UK for school but it was working fine until
recently). An suggestions that haven't already been put up here?