Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SMH SMH is offline

Default Word Doc Never Opens From Explorer In Vista

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens and
says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the document
opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem, and
could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse movement
and keyclick is logged.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

I think some of this behaviour is probably due to timing issues so I just
don't bother any more and instead, I open Word and then double click on the
file that I may want to open, whether it be in via Windows Explorer or an
attachment to an email message.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"SMH" wrote in message

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens and
says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the
document
opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem, and
could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse movement
and keyclick is logged.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK Dave-UK is offline

"SMH" wrote in message ...

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens and
says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the document
opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem, and
could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse movement
and keyclick is logged.

Have you tried running Microsoft Office Diagnostics ?

Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools Microsoft Office Diagnostics .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Sarah C[_2_] Sarah C[_2_] is offline

Dave ...

Does Microsoft Office Diagnostics exist and reside on same menu for Office
2003 Professional ?

More details and sounds similar to issue originally reported .....

Having similar problem on machine I am not in front of where there is about
a 30-60 second delay when clicking on a shortcut on Desktop that opens Word
doc in a My Documents subfolder ..... happens for variou doc shortcuts on
desktops.

There was an issue installing Office 2003 SP3 a few weeks back where it hung
forever and eventually cancelled and saw it supposedly roll back. There were
no other service packs existing prior.

Issue also exists that if you click on a Word file from within and My
Documents folder.... HOWEVER ... at intermittent times the hang will
disappear.... all the while if open within Word it is just fine.

Thanks,
Sarah

"Dave-UK" wrote:

"SMH" wrote in message ...

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens and
says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the document
opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem, and
could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse movement
and keyclick is logged.

Have you tried running Microsoft Office Diagnostics ?

Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools Microsoft Office Diagnostics .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK Dave-UK is offline

"Sarah C" wrote in message ...
[...]

It looks like it was introduced with Office 2007, so I think you are out of luck, sorry. :-(
(The programs are listed here)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...340761033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SMH SMH is offline

"Dave-UK" wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

"SMH" wrote in message

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens
and says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the
document opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem,
and could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse
movement and keyclick is logged.

Have you tried running Microsoft Office Diagnostics ?

Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools
Microsoft Office Diagnostics .

========================
Microsoft Office Diagnostics:

No cause found.

The diagnostics tests found no problems. Click Continue to connect to
Microsoft's servers and view recommended next steps.

Summary of results:

Diagnostics run: 5
Diagnostics that identified problems: 0
Diagnostics that took corrective action: 0
=========================

There was something about my not downloading a file periodically,
information from the web site after clicking Continue, so I set up the
option to allow the download. I have to wait a week or so (it said) before
running the diagnostics program again.

Curiously while this diagnostics was running, TWO applications crashed
during the memory diagnostic check:

1. Firefox, and the diagnostic reported it wanted to close the application
too. I believe it complained of a low memory condition too.

2. uTorrent: its crash was not explained

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave-UK Dave-UK is offline

"SMH" wrote in message

[...]

Oh well, it was worth a try. I don't use Firefox or Torrents so I don't know about those.

You could try running Office setup, removing Word, rebooting and re-installing Word,
(if you haven't already tried that).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DL[_3_] DL[_3_] is offline

Open any office app, and run Detect/Repair, this process was renamed Office
Diagnostics in Office 2007
Or insert your Office CD and run Repair

"Dave-UK" wrote:

"SMH" wrote in message

Whenever I double-click a Word doc from within Explorer, Word opens and
says it could not load the document, as if it could not find it.

1. I can always open the document from within Word.

2. And here is something I just found out: I just closed Word and
attempted to open the document again from within Explorer, and the
document
opened without a problem.

Running Word 2007 SP2 on Vista HP SP1.

I (just) checked the Event Viewer to see if it recorded the problem,
and
could find nothing...amazing, since it seems almost every mouse
movement
and keyclick is logged.

Have you tried running Microsoft Office Diagnostics ?

Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools
Microsoft Office Diagnostics .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DL[_3_] DL[_3_] is offline

You should post to a Word group, or an Office group, the problem is well
known, and is seen also in excel

"SMH" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline