Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John C. Femiani John C. Femiani is offline

Default Text Orientation:

I had the same problem:

Symptoms:
All text in any new document is verticalat the _document_ level.
I can open existing documents and they disply correctly

Cause:
I opened an RTF with special formatting instructions and accidently
over-wrote the default page layout settings (by clicking 'Default' under page
layout while the funky rtf was open). I think RTF uses special tags in the
file that can do things to the page setup that you can not adjust through the
MSWord application once they are set.

Cu
Open a document with horizontal page layout, then click on page setup and
click 'Default' button agint to replace the funky settings with normal ones.
Presumably the poster who told you to move normal.dot was trying to
accomplish the same thing....

Chears,
John

"usyms" wrote:

the template is not the cause...

the text is rotated by 90 degrees, i have the same problem, just like when
you modyfy the text orientation in a table call, but this is in the WHOLE
page, no tables, no cells,...
changing the page orientation (lanscape,...) doesnt fix the problem,
also, all the buttons about text alignment are rotated also. So it HAVE TO
be a specific function.
I can print the document so that it appears normal, but i have to keep the
head on the side to read on the screen.
i didnt see any help yet, i looked all possible buttons that i could reach,
i looked at the page properties,...
and when i want to save it to a web page i have the following warning :
Vertical text will become horizontal.

any ideas ?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Hi, Brian. In Word, click on Tools | Options | File Locations, and note the folder for User Templates. Close Word. Rename the NORMAL.DOT file in the User Templates folder specified in Word (the folder may be hidden). Restart Word. Is the problem gone?

"Brian" wrote:

This occurs when I initally open a new document or start MS Word. I do not have any tables, text boxes, or auto shapes set up. It's a blank document, however the type is writing 90 degrees clockwise down the right side of the page.

MS Help wrote:

Hi, Brian. Select the table cell or text box or autoshape, then click on Format | Text Direction | choose the one you want.

My page setup is correct, but the text orientation is sideways down the right side of the page. Along with this, my justification and column keys turned sideways as well. How do I get it back to "normal".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
caderich caderich is offline

I had the same problem. I opened a document that had a page embedded within
it that was vertical and when I went to type on that page, all the text was
vertical and on the right. The alignment buttons in the toolbar all changed
to vertical as well. I tried to delete the page and it would not delete.
Somehow, the settings from that document got saved, and since then I had a
problem with starting a new document. I found an older document and deleted
all text and started with that one and saved it as a new document. It got
frustrating.
I finally opened an existing document that was correct, and went to page
setup and clicked the default button and it saved the defaults from that
document as the new setup, and since then all the documents are correct.
Thanks for the guidance John. That worked. Now, my print layout view and
print preview are all correct.