Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lentulax lentulax is offline

Default Finding Unicode characters in Word 2007

I have Word 2007 with Vista Home Premium . The online Help about Finding Text
doesn't seem to be particularly adapted to the products I have . For a start
, it suggests you can find all occurrences of whatever by clicking the Find
All button - but there isn't one ! (OK - clicking on Find In/Main Document
does the job).

But I haven't found the answer to finding remote unicode characters . Online
help says that ^Unnnn in the Find What box (with Use wildcards off) will find
the unicode character whose code is nnnn ; but all it actually produces is a
message that ^U is not a valid special character for the Find What box . Have
I missed something obvious ? or can someone suggest why this doesn't work ?
(What I want to do involves the playing card symbols ; I want , when I've
finished a document , to Find All the heart/diamond symbols and click on the
Font Colour to change them to red.)

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Finding Unicode characters in Word 2007

To find Unicode characters in Word 2007, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Replace" button in the "Editing" section of the ribbon.
  3. In the "Find and Replace" dialog box, click on the "More " button to expand the options.
  4. Check the box next to "Use wildcards".
  5. In the "Find what" box, type "^u" followed by the four-digit Unicode code for the character you want to find. For example, to find the heart symbol (™¥), you would type "^u2665".
  6. Click on the "Find Next" button to locate the first occurrence of the character.
  7. To find all occurrences of the character, click on the "Find In" drop-down menu and select "Main Document".
  8. Click on the "Find All" button to display a list of all occurrences of the character.
  9. To change the font color of the characters, select them in the document and click on the "Font Color" button in the "Font" section of the ribbon. Choose the color you want from the drop-down menu.

I hope this helps you find and change the Unicode characters you need in your document!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi,

It should be a small u: say, ^u9829 for the heart.

It's most times easier to just copy/paste the character into the dialog
(select, Ctrl+C, change to dialog, Ctrl+V).

If you do use the code, you usually have the hex code rather than the
decimal code. Just as in the document, you can type the hex code in the
dialog, then use Alt+X (=ToggleCharacterCode).
Say type 2665 and then Alt+X.

You can later use "Replace" to apply the red color:
Find what: ^u9829
Replace: ^& (and choose "Format Font red").

Regards,
Klaus

"lentulax" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lentulax lentulax is offline

Thank you , Klaus ! So not only should it be a small u (though online Help
clearly shows U ), but , something Help doesn't mention , the code should be
in decimal , not hex , despite the Symbol feature using the hex codes (I had
actually tried a small u , but no items were found , since I'd naturally used
the hex code) .

Since I'm likely to use the suit symbols frequently in a document , I find
it quicker to assign short-cut keys than to copy/paste ; but thanks to your
advice , I can now do exactly what I wanted to .

A great result for my first visit to these discussion groups !

Mike

"lentulax" wrote:
[...]

Lestrad Lestrad is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentulax View Post
Thank you , Klaus ! So not only should it be a small u (though online Help
clearly shows U ), but , something Help doesn't mention , the code should be
in decimal , not hex , despite the Symbol feature using the hex codes
-snip-

Can anybody point me to a decimal/hex table of Unicode characters? I'm trying to convert French numbers that have a "thin non-breaking space" as the thousand separator. The code for this is supposedly u+2009. But when I use that code, "00" (a pair of zeros) is found instead. I need to try with the decimal version (or the hex version, if "u+2009" is decimal; as Abrahama Lincoln supposedly once said, "If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.")

TIA!
Les