Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colinsp colinsp is offline

Default why do I have to scroll from side to side to read written text, b.

I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it appears as
size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of sight. Which means
that I have to scroll from side to side to read it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Colin
--
cat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Change the zoom setting -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
colinsp colinsp is offline

Default why do I have to scroll from side to side to read written text

Thank you Graham, for your reply.
I have searched for Normal.dot through "Search" in the start menu, and the
result was negative! It is not in my computer under files and folders.
I do not see a 'zoom' button on the toolbar of Word either.
Any other ideas?!!
regards
Colinsp

--
cat

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Did you search for hidden files? Normal.dot is a hidden file in the folder
identified at tools options file locations user templates.

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it. Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your template is in a hidden folder -- when you use Windows Search,
check "look in hidden folders."

Your zoom box is supposed to be in your Standard toolbar -- if it
isn't, click the down arrow at the toolbar's right end and choose
Reset.

In Word2007 the zoom box has been moved down to the right side of the
"status bar" and made minuscule with most of the presets taken away,
and provided with a useless zoom scroll bar that cannot be moved with
any sort of precision.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Change the zoom setting -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read it..
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, if you click on the percentage shown at the left end of the
zoom slider, you'll get the Zoom dialog, which contains the presets. This is
also available in the View tab on the ribbon.

For my part, in Word 2007 and earlier, I assigned zooming capabilities to
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up and Down, using two macros:

Sub ZoomIn()
'
' ZoomIn Macro
'
'
On Error Resume Next
With ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View
.Zoom.Percentage = .Zoom.Percentage + 1
End With
End Sub

Sub ZoomOut()
'
' ZoomIn Macro
'
'
On Error Resume Next
With ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View
.Zoom.Percentage = .Zoom.Percentage - 1
End With
End Sub

And... if those aren't enough, you can zoom using Ctrl+ Mouse Wheel..

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I said, very few presets -- only 75, 100, 200; lost are the two I
used most often, 150 and 500. (The latter for checking on diacritics,
which tend to look pretty much the same at normal screen resolutions.)

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would be nice if we could define custom presets. I view a lot of
documents at 105% just because that seems to be a comfortable size for
10-12-pt TNR on my screen.

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can modify one of the macros I showed previously to create QAT tools
that let you zoom to 150 and 500. For 150, it would be:

Sub Zoom150()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 150
End Sub

--

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Defined presets might be nice... although, I find having to use the mouse a
pain in the wrist. I use AutoOpen and AutoNew macros to make documents
default to 160%, since that's the minimum size at which I can comfortably
read 10 or 12 point text. When I need other zoom levels, I have zoom in and
zoom out assigned to keystrokes.

--

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FrameMaker has 8 or 10 steps on the preset scale -- every one of which
can be changed. I always had 1600% (its maximum!) in there, because I
occasionally had to move things by 1000ths of a point to get footnotes
right, because it never did learn that long footnotes are supposed to
break onto the next page! For Word, it turns out that 140% exactly
fits the text plus comment balloons on the full width of my screen.

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you set 105 from the zoom dialog, it appears to hold without further
effort for new documents, but for existing documents you would need an
autoopen macro in normal.dotm containing the line

ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 105

to force the view from the view saved in the document.

colinsp wrote:
I have XP Prof + SP3, using Office 2003. Just re-installed windows
and
office. Now the text, although format is selected as size 12, it
appears as size 14 or larger on the page, and the text goes out of
sight. Which means that I have to scroll from side to side to read
it.
Any advice on correction of this will be appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't want that zoom for all docs, though, just the ones I want it for.
Certain others require different zooms. And I absolutely don't want Word to
open at 105% (when it does, I switch it back) because I keep Document1 open
all day in pristine condition for testing purposes. It's the only document I
ever have that's actually based on Normal.dot.