Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dlbis dlbis is offline

Default How do I restore the Style Numbering when it stops working?

I recently was working on a document and copied a portion of another
document. When I did this, I got a "File Corrupt" error. This didn't seem to
affect anything except the function of the Numbering/Bullets function.

Is there a way to restore this function? I've tried copying and saving the
document into a new page, but the missing function goes with it each time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?ZGxiaXM=?=,

I recently was working on a document and copied a portion of another
document. When I did this, I got a "File Corrupt" error. This didn't seem to
affect anything except the function of the Numbering/Bullets function.

Is there a way to restore this function? I've tried copying and saving the
document into a new page, but the missing function goes with it each time.

It's not clear HOW the function is no longer working. Can you provide more
details? Also, which version of Word do you have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dlbis dlbis is offline

Cindy: I highlight a series of text lines (individual procedure steps that I
have written) and click on the "Bullets & Numbering" function under Format,
but nothing happens, it remains as Normal text.

I also try to use the Style drop-down function and have previously created a
List Numbering style which is set up to apply a number, a period, then a tab
space. It used to do this previously, but when I got the error message that
the file might be corrupt, this function will work only to the extent that it
will apply the numbers but only in the sequence from which any previous
numbering in the document has been set. In other words, if some of the
document steps were already numbered 1 through 10 and that remained in the
document okay, then when I apply my List Numbering function, it will start at
number 11 and go on from there. I can't get the "Restart Numbering" option to
work at all.

As I mentioned, everything else about the document seems to work fine -- all
other formats, styles, etc. It's just that whenever I add new text to the
document, the Numbering function doesn't work.

If I modify some of the text in the document that already has proper
numbering applied, I can add steps into the sequence and they will number
appropriately. It's only when I add a new set of text steps in a separate
block of text that the numbering fails to apply.

I'd like to find out if there is a way to reveal all of the coding in the
document and maybe I can find the culprit that's keeping the numbering from
working. OR, if there is a better way, I'd like to just restore the numbering
function and clear up the corruption (whatever it is).

Thanks for the help.

dlbis
"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?ZGxiaXM=?=,

I recently was working on a document and copied a portion of another
document. When I did this, I got a "File Corrupt" error. This didn't seem to
affect anything except the function of the Numbering/Bullets function.

Is there a way to restore this function? I've tried copying and saving the
document into a new page, but the missing function goes with it each time.

It's not clear HOW the function is no longer working. Can you provide more
details? Also, which version of Word do you have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?ZGxiaXM=?=,

Cindy: I highlight a series of text lines (individual procedure steps that I
have written) and click on the "Bullets & Numbering" function under Format,
but nothing happens, it remains as Normal text.

I also try to use the Style drop-down function and have previously created a
List Numbering style which is set up to apply a number, a period, then a tab
[...]

Thanks for the additional detail :-)

It's possible that the document has accumulated some "dross". Especially in
earlier versions of Word (97, 2000) this can lead to damaged documents. If you
copy everything except the last paragraph mark into a new document, does the
numbering behave better?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dlbis dlbis is offline

Cindy: That worked fine for a while. I had to go through the document and
manually indicate the List Numbering and restart the numbering at "1" for
each new procedural step.

I got to page 24 of the 97 page document and the numbering stopped working
again.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks for your insights.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?ZGxiaXM=?=,

Cindy: I highlight a series of text lines (individual procedure steps that I
have written) and click on the "Bullets & Numbering" function under Format,
but nothing happens, it remains as Normal text.

I also try to use the Style drop-down function and have previously created a
List Numbering style which is set up to apply a number, a period, then a tab
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?ZGxiaXM=?=,

I had to go through the document and
manually indicate the List Numbering and restart the numbering at "1" for
each new procedural step.

I got to page 24 of the 97 page document and the numbering stopped working
again.

Any further suggestions?

Ummm, not nice ones :-)

Try this with the first "problem" numbering section: Select all the
paragraphs. Edit/Cut. Edit/Paste Special. Choose "plain text". This loses all
the formatting, but we want to see if it also loses the "yuckiness". Are you
able to apply the number formatting to this section correctly? If yes, how
does the formatting of the following numbered sections react?

You may want to read up on numbering on Margarit Aldis's website. Most
especially, the technique for reliable renumbering (using a "hidden" Level 1)
www.syntagma.demon.co.uk