Carl

Default Purchase of Word.

Is Word a stand alone item I can purchase from a retail
store or other place? For what I am going to do all I need
is the Word software. Thank you.
Greg Maxey

Carl,

Yes you can purchase Word as a stand alone application. Last time I saw it
on a shelf it was about $99.00

Suzanne Barnhill may be along shortly with a link or other information on
how to obtain it at a good price.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Carl wrote:
Is Word a stand alone item I can purchase from a retail
store or other place? For what I am going to do all I need
is the Word software. Thank you.

Pop

Yes, it is; sort of. You can buy just Word for a lot less than the cost of
the whole Office Suite. However, IMO, though just Word is expensive, it's
not THAT much more expensive to buy the whole suite.
As far as I know, there is still a Student Edition too, if you qualify
for that, which does have a more reasonable price.
Depending on your needs, you might save quite a bit by looking for an
older version too, but be sure it's not a pirated version. Many of the
software stores sell the older versions for less.

Pop

--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!
"Carl" wrote in message
Is Word a stand alone item I can purchase from a retail
store or other place? For what I am going to do all I need
is the Word software. Thank you.

Although you *can* buy Word alone, the least expensive way to get it (even
cheaper than buying it alone) is as part of Works Suite. If you don't
absolutely have to have Word 2003, you will find Word 2002, along with Works
8, Encarta 2005, Money 2005, PictureIt! Premium 10, and Streets & Trips
2005, as part of Works Suite 2005. It can be had for well under $100 at
Amazon and other retailers, and there is a $20 mail-in rebate in effect
until January 1, 2006. For more, see
http://www.microsoft.com/products/wo...s.aspx?pid=001

"Carl" wrote in message
Is Word a stand alone item I can purchase from a retail
store or other place? For what I am going to do all I need
is the Word software. Thank you.

TF

And as well as Suzanne's cunning plan, if you really need Word 2003, there
is the Teachers and Student version of Office 2003 Standard. To qualify, one
member of the home must be a Student or teacher at a recognised educational
establishment. You may install it on up to three computers in the home. You
may continue to use it even after the qualified person is no longer
qualified.

Another alternative is if at work you have Office licensed with Software
Assurance and you are the principal user of the workstation, you can then
purchase a version for home user at a very low cost (around $30 I think).
The disadvantage is IF you leave that employment, you are no longer
qualified to use it any more!
--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Carl" wrote in message
: Is Word a stand alone item I can purchase from a retail
: store or other place? For what I am going to do all I need
: is the Word software. Thank you.

Pop

Yes, as long as it's a retail version (not OEM to be supplied only with a
new computer markings), has the COA and key/product numbers, and the fancy
logo included, and ALL CDs are original, not copies.

--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!