Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bradw Bradw is offline

Default dangling underline

I'm having a small problem with Word for students and teachers 2002.
Somehow, when the document is in the "normal" layout, there is a line of
underline BELOW the cursor. When the document is in the "print layout" it
disappears. It wouldn't be a huge problem except for the fact that I'm doing
a resume' and when people open the document and enlarge it to be better able
to read it, the underline will show. I've tried everything to get rid of the
problem including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Any help with
this would be appreciated
I also have Works on my computer. This is a computer dumby question, but if
I do my resume' in works, will employers with Word be able to view the
document sent in e-mail or attached to e-mail?
Thanks!!!
--
Thanks!

Bradw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You shouldn't be sending Word (or Works) documents to prospective employers.
Send a PDF. a) It's more professional, b) it accommodates employers who not
only don't have Word, but also those (there are some!) who don't have any
Microsoft products or who won't open Word documents from strangers, c) what
they see is likely to be what you send, and d) your dangling underline
problem will go away: if it's not there in PrintPreview, it won't be there
in the PDF either.

"Bradw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bradw Bradw is offline

Thanks for the PDF suggestion. Now, how do I create a PDF document??????
I've never done it before.
--
Thanks!

Bradw

"Bradw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Method 1: buy a copy of Acrobat (the full thing, not the free reader)
Method 2: buy or download a clone (they range in price from nothing to not
much)
Method 3: use the conversion function on adobe's web site.

"Bradw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are seeing is the "end of document" indicator. This can be helpful
if you don't display nonprinting characters. If you do not see it
immediately below the last line of text, then you know you must have a lot
of empty paragraphs between the text and the end of the document--possibly
enough to cause a blank page to print.

Note, however, that this is visible only in Normal view. As Jezebel has
said, sending a PDF would be better than sending a Word document, but if you
must send a Word document, you can save it in Print Layout view, and it will
open in that view on the recipient's computer. If the recipient wants to
switch to Normal view for some reason, then you can assume he is comfortable
with that view and used to seeing the end-of-document line. Note, too, that
if the recipient is comfortable viewing nonprinting characters, he will have
those displayed as well, and you have no control over that, so you would be
best advised to reduce them to a minimum so you don't look incompetent; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"Bradw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

Better.
Download the free program called CutePDF. (www.cutepdf.com)
This program installs a false printer called "cutepdf".
Then when you want to convert any document into a PDF document, choose the CUTEPDF printer to print
the document.
It does not actually print the document but rather give you a window to save a PDF version of the
document.
You can then send that PDF document attached to an email. (You will often find the PDF version to
be a smaller size file too.)

"Bradw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bradw Bradw is offline

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially Suzanne. I need to have a
resume' in Word per the Univ. of Washington's format for scanning resumes.
That "end of document" indicator about drove me nuts, and no one I asked knew
what it was!!! At least now I can finish the document and feel secure about
sending it. The info about adobe was also helpful. It never occurred to me
that I could use it to create a document. I have a hard enough time just
reading stuff in PDF! As you can see, I don't have much computer knowledge.
Time for a coupla on line classes.
--
Thanks!

Bradw