Donna

Default page break on paragraph

We have a roster book of names & addresses in Word. I'm trying to set up
page breaks so that all the info for one person is kept on the same page. Is
there something in the Paragraph/ Line & Page Breaks that I can use? (# of
lines in address vary)

Eg.

Jane Doe
1 Central Ave
Anywhere, XX 99999

(Break)
John Smith
1 Main Street
Anywhere, XX 99999

Daiya Mitchell

If the name were in a certain style, you could assign Page Break Before to
that style. It would make sense to have each name bold or otherwise
different from the rest of the address anyhow.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Since the names are already Heading 1, you need to Modify the Heading 1
style to include Page Break Before. See here for how:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

On 6/4/05 9:45 AM, "Donna" wrote:

We have a roster book of names & addresses in Word. I'm trying to set up
page breaks so that all the info for one person is kept on the same page.
Is
there something in the Paragraph/ Line & Page Breaks that I can use? (# of
lines in address vary)

Eg.

Jane Doe
1 Central Ave
Anywhere, XX 99999

(Break)
John Smith
1 Main Street
Anywhere, XX 99999

The control you want is "Keep lines together," which keeps a paragraph in
one chunk. To make this work, however, you need to have each address in a
single paragraph by itself. I suspect that the addresses as currently set up
have a paragraph break (ΒΆ) at the end of each line and possibly two
paragraph breaks between addresses. If so, this is very easy to fix:

1. Use Search and Replace to replace all paragraph breaks (^p) with line
breaks (^l).

2. Then replace two line breaks (^l^l) with a paragraph break (^p).

3. Then Select All (Ctrl+A) and go to Format | Paragraph. On the Line and
Page breaks tab, check the box for "Keep lines together."

In your specific case, since you have the names in a distinct style, set it
to "Keep with next" (which Heading 1 already is by default) and the
following paragraph to "Keep lines together."

"Donna" wrote in message
We have a roster book of names & addresses in Word. I'm trying to set up
page breaks so that all the info for one person is kept on the same page.

Is
there something in the Paragraph/ Line & Page Breaks that I can use? (# of
lines in address vary)

Eg.

Jane Doe
1 Central Ave
Anywhere, XX 99999

(Break)
John Smith
1 Main Street
Anywhere, XX 99999

Jay Freedman

The setting you want isn't Page Break Before, but Keep With Next. When
Word would otherwise put an automatic page break between paragraphs A
and B, if paragraph A has Keep With Next, then both paragraphs go to
the next page.

First, remove the Page Break Before from the Heading 1 style. While
you're in there, verify that Keep With Next is checked (it is, by
default, for all the Heading N styles for levels 1 to 4).

Whatever style you used for the remaining lines of each entry, modify
that style so it also has Keep With Next. You probably don't want to
do this for all documents, so don't check the Add To Template box in
the Modify dialog, and the change will affect only the current
document. (Whatever you do, don't check the "Automatically update" box
in that dialog -- that one's a killer!)

Now you have to allow page breaks between entries, by removing the
Keep With Next from the last line of each entry. You could go through
the document doing this by hand, but there's an easier way. First
define a new style that's based on the regular text's style, but
remove the Keep With Next. To apply that style to the right paragraphs
(assuming that only zip codes contain five consecutive digits):

- Open the Edit Replace dialog.
- In the Find What box, enter
^#^#^#^#^#
- In the Replace With box, enter
^&
- Click the More button and then the Format button, and select Style
from the popup menu. Choose the style you created for the last line
and click OK. Then click the Replace All button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On 6/4/05 9:45 AM, "Donna" wrote:

We have a roster book of names & addresses in Word. I'm trying to set up
page breaks so that all the info for one person is kept on the same page.
Is
there something in the Paragraph/ Line & Page Breaks that I can use? (# of
lines in address vary)

Eg.

Jane Doe
1 Central Ave
Anywhere, XX 99999

(Break)
John Smith
1 Main Street
Anywhere, XX 99999

Not entirely stupid. My Rotary club is about to publish a small-format
(half-Letter) membership directory with one member per page; each listing
will include a photo and lots of other info, and it will be loose-leaf so
that new members can be added easily (and former members removed--or at
least moved to the back).

.. .