KerryL

Default How to NOT display user initials/version in body of document-Word2

How can I turn off the DISPLAY of the user initials and comment version in
the body of a document? (In Normal View.) I want to leave these in the guts
of the comment itself, but I don't want my reading broken up by [XYn]
wherever I've added a comment.
In Word XP, the flow looked like this:
(Shaded)
This is text with a comment associated with it. Followed (unshaded) by text
without a comment.

In Word 2003, this is what I see:
(Shaded)
This is text with a comment associated with it[KL1]. Followed (unshaded) by
text without a comment.

I want the [KL1] to be included in the comment (don't want to remove the
metadata) and in the tooltip, but I don't want to see it unless I open the
comment pane or hover & get the tooltip.
If I set the balloon view on for web/printer, then in print layout view the
[KL1] does go away, but I'd like to not have that interrupt the flow in
normal view (and I don't always want the balloon view in layout view, either).
Thanks!
....Kerry

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2VycnlM?=,

How can I turn off the DISPLAY of the user initials and comment version in
the body of a document? (In Normal View.) I want to leave these in the guts
of the comment itself, but I don't want my reading broken up by [XYn]
wherever I've added a comment.

Turn off the display of hidden text (Tools/OPtions/View).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

KerryL

Thanks, but I do have that option turned off. I also tried turning it on,
exiting word, then turning it off again. No luck.
The only way I seem to be able to not have [Initials#] in the body of the
doc is to switch view to print layout AND turn on 'use balloons'.
....Kerry

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2VycnlM?=,

How can I turn off the DISPLAY of the user initials and comment version in
the body of a document? (In Normal View.) I want to leave these in the guts
of the comment itself, but I don't want my reading broken up by [XYn]
wherever I've added a comment.

Turn off the display of hidden text (Tools/OPtions/View).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Kerry,

Ah, I see they've taken "Hidden" out of the Comment Reference style's definition.
But you can put it back in, so that it will work as in earlier versions of Word.

- Select a [KL#] comment reference
- Format/Styles and Formatting (you should see Comment reference at the very top)
- Right-click on Comment reference, choose "Modify"
- Click Format, select Font
- Click on the checkbox next to "Hidden" until it's activated
- OK

If you want to turn this on for all new documents, activate "Add to template"
before clicking on OK in the main dialog box.

Thanks, but I do have that option turned off. I also tried turning it on,
exiting word, then turning it off again. No luck.
The only way I seem to be able to not have [Initials#] in the body of the
doc is to switch view to print layout AND turn on 'use balloons'.

How can I turn off the DISPLAY of the user initials and comment version in
the body of a document? (In Normal View.) I want to leave these in the guts
of the comment itself, but I don't want my reading broken up by [XYn]
wherever I've added a comment.

Turn off the display of hidden text (Tools/OPtions/View).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Dave

Hmmm - This doesn't work for me on word2000. The "initials##" text still
appears in
the main window. Where I would really like it to appear is in the comments
window.
Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Dave