Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pinklady

Default How do I type a letter in a formal format

I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ted Zieglar

Tools Letters and Mailings Letter Wizard.

--
Ted Zieglar
"A fool and his data are soon parted."

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let

me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daiya Mitchell

I don't know about a formal letter, but reading this page will probably be
generally helpful:

Introduction to Word for New Users:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/concepts...ion/index.html

On 3/10/06 10:41 AM, "pinklady" wrote:

I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

If you want a typewriter, use Notepad.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let
me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Start Programs WordPad

See the books "The Word Processing Book" or "The Mac is Not a Typewriter"
both by Peter McWilliams.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let
me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pinklady

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I don't know about a formal letter, but reading this page will probably be
generally helpful:

Introduction to Word for New Users:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/concepts...ion/index.html

On 3/10/06 10:41 AM, "pinklady" wrote:

I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Thank you Daiya . Pinklady

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pinklady

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

If you want a typewriter, use Notepad.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Thank you JoAnn. What is Notepad? How do you use it exactly?

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let
me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pinklady

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Start Programs WordPad

See the books "The Word Processing Book" or "The Mac is Not a Typewriter"
both by Peter McWilliams.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
Thank you Charles for all the information. I am trying to self-teach myself , started last fall. Did not know a thing about computers but slowly I am acquiring information about a lot of things. The programs I want to learn first a Word, Publisher, Excel, Pc Stitch, Pattern Maker. I design X-stitch, business cards, posters, etc. Ialso need to know about clip art and how to use it or if it can be used in my designs.

Pinklady

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to let
me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Pinklady,

You've got a mighty long wish list. I'd suggest getting some Dummies books
on some of the programs you've mentioned. I can tell you that there are no
books available for PC Stitch and Pattern Maker because I've used both. I no
longer have PM but I do have PC Stitch. Play with the program - it's not
difficult. That advice actually does for all of the programs. If you don't
actually play with them and see what happens if you (fill in the blank), you
will never learn.

And no, you can't use the clipart in a cross-stitch design to sell. You may
use to on promotional products tho.

My previous comment about using Notepad was because you asked why a computer
can't be more like a typewriter. Notepad will do what a typewriter does -
allow you to type with VERY LITTLE formatting. You can make capital letters
and use the tab key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ARGH!! I'm lying! When did Notepad start to allow you to change the font? I
thought that was the point of Notepad - not much you could do to "fancy up"
a document. Geez - blink and something radically changes.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"pinklady" wrote in message
I just want to type a letter, do not know how to get this program to
let
me
set up the format. I am a beginner. Very annoying why every thing is
so
complicated. Why can't it be set up like a typewriter?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

For learning Word I would recommend starting at Shauna Kelly's site, perhaps
supplemented with one or both of mine and the MVP FAQ (in the signature
block below). I would recommend starting with those books though. They are
out of print but you should be able to get them through your library. They
are very short. Shauna's site is
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html.