Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Default Problems w/resume created in Word 2000

Hi everyone, I previously created my resume using a template in Word 2000
and I am currently using it to send out for employment but now I am using
Word 2003 (trial version downloaded from Microsoft.com). My problem is this:
I assume that when I used the template to create my resume that it already
contained tables or borders or whatever to use to make my resume look like it
was in an "outline" format. There were particular places for headings,
titles, paragraphs, etc. These "lines" should never be visible when viewing
the resume using "print preview", "print", "email" or "fax". But the lines
are now showing up when I email my resume and it is a disaster for me...

I cannot figure out what is happening and I have used every command
available for tables and borders to rid this document of these template
lines, but the are still showing up in email. (i am not sure about faxing or
actually printing because I haven't faxed the resume to anyone nor do I have
a printer connected at this time). But they still do not show up in "print
preview", just the way they should nto show up.

Can anyone figure out what I am talking about here? I hope this made sense
to someone. I am DESPERATE and cannot create another resume. I love this
one and no longer have Word 2000 on my system. (i had to reformat my hard
drive and did not have the Code to reinstall my Word 2000 CD so I had to
download a trial version because I could not find a way to get a new code to
install 2000 with).

ANYONE AT ALL, CAN U HELP ME PLEASE.

I'd be happy to send u a copy of my resume so you can see what I am talking
about.

Thanks ahead of time - have a blessed day everyone

Joy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

What you are seeing are called Table Gridlines. They do not print but
whether or not they are visible is a user setting so anybody with an
electronic copy of the document can choose to see them (or not) - it is
beyond your control, and was that way before even if you did not realise it.

If you want lines not to be visible, one way is to add borders and colour
them white but remember that anybody with an electronic copy can change
anything in it. Why do you think the fact that you use tables for formatting
should be a problem?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"uRmySunshine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Hi Tony, I was afraid I was talking too much and my msg. would not be
"clear". The lines are not a problem for me BUT when I email my resume to
someone and these lines are showing up and are not suppose to, I do not want
that. They have never shown up before whenever I emailed, faxed or printed
the document. I've used this resume format for over 3 years and just
recently had gotten laid off and am needing it again.

As I said in my first post, the lines are not a problem when I am working
with the document but they should NOT be visible when I am emailing the
document to someone else. Something is wrong is what I am saying. Can you
help me rid the document of them? As I said also, they came from the
template that I used to create the resume using Word 2000 and again, they ARE
NOT suppose to show up in print, email or faxing. (but for some reason, now
they are?????). I just want the document to be visible - NOT THE TABLE LINES
TOO.

Thanks again for any info. Joy

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you look to see if they show up in a print? If so, select the table,
Format - Boundaries and Shadings.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Obviously, I do not want to paint the tables and borders using white, I want
to get RID OF THEM if that's okay, that is why I wrote back again. I wanted
to try and find out why they all of a sudden started showing up on emails and
hadn't shown up before? I am trying to get a job here, the resume needs to
be PERFECTO, get it?? Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely, Joy

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Thank you JoAnn, I knew if u wrote back that you would have a truly bright
answer, you ALWAYS do, (I MEAN THAT SINCERELY). - Thanks so much !!!!! You
are one in a million. (my printer is not here but I will make a copy and go
print it and find out so thanks again).

*** Joy

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My mom says the same thing...and then she walks away snickering. (Senile old
woman - I'm gonna send her to a home in Idaho if she keeps it up.) ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't get rid of the tables without taking the text out of a table, and
the gridlines are (as my article explains) a user setting, so you can't get
rid of them. If you actually have borders on the résumé, then you can remove
them with Ctrl+Alt+U.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You've already received a solution, but perhaps this will help:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HideGridlines.htm.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Joy,

I see there have been a few posts here over-(my)-night but, at the risk of
repeating what Suzanne has said, I would like to try to clarify.

Let me say up front that (as far as I can tell):

* nothing is wrong
* nothing in your document has changed.

Next, let me make clear:

* Word is a tool for editing documents
* Table Gridlines are an editing aid
* They are how Word shows the boundaries of tables
* They do not print and do not fax
* The viewing of them can be turned on or off - by *user* choice
* Word 2000 and Word 2003 are the same in this regard

If you do not want people to see the gridlines, do not send them a copy of
your resumé in Word format; send it as a PDF. That said, assuming the jobs
you are after do not require a knowledge of Word you have nothing to worry
about. Your CV has been the same since you first set it up and recipients of
it will not have a problem with seeing the gridlines.

If you want to get a job:

* relax
* be under 50

Good luck!

--

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Considering my 50th birthday is a memory and the orientation for my new job
is scheduled for Monday, I'd argue that last point a little bit...but not
completely.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

No, No, No, JoAnn, I really meant that each time I write and you write back
to me, (i have saved responses from before when I've written w/problems), you
ALWAYS have a very good suggestion, so the statement I made was really coming
from the heart. (TRULY). I'm sure there are many wonderful people working
this forum but you have just always given excellent responses to me
inparticularly. So Thanks alot okay..

Joy Dixon

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Thank you Tony for the info and the clarifications that were done so well !!
I am still under 50 (by 7 years), so maybe I will be able to get that job as
you predict !! I think I've confused everyone AND myself by one thing he
The lines I am speaking of were obviously used in the template, I do know
that, BUT the difference between my using the resume now as opposed to when I
was emailing, faxing or mailing it from print before is this: THE LINES
NEVER WERE VISIBLE BEFORE, IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, FORM OR FASHION. MYSELF, NOR
ANYONE THAT I SENT THE RESUME TO COULD VISIBLY SEE THE LINES USED FOR
FORMATTING THRU THE TEMPLATE. BUT NOW, ALL OF A SUDDEN, THE LINES ARE
SHOWING UP WHEN I EMAIL THE DOCUMENT BUT ON THE SECOND PAGE ALONE. DOES THAT
MAKE ANY SENSE NOW?

I understand what the lines are, what they are used for, etc. but they
should not be visible, never have been before in any way and NOW, the lines
are visible on the second page of the resume when I emailed it the other day.
I've checked and re-checked and they just show up on that second page. By
the way, I've used all of the advice I've gotten, nothing has worked, the
lines are still visible on this second page only when I email the document.

I'm considering just redoing the entire thing from scratch and not use a
template thru Word or anything else. Was wondering what would be another way
to create it without using Word. (not Wordperfect either). Are there any
specific programs out there that are free and spyware free also that can be
used to create a quick and GOOD LOOKING resume. I want to focus on my skills
and not my past jobs. (Union problems don't make for good references ya know
!!)

Lemme know of anything. Thanks for EVERYTHING Tony.

Joy Dixon

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Hey JoAnn,

If it's true like Tony says that I can get a job if I'm under 50, then I
should be okay for 7 years. (Hope to God it wouldn't take that many years or
I will be in some home in Idaho myself by that time !!). Thanks for
everything.

The problem hasn't gone away but I've decided to just quit worrying about it
and create another resume using another program instead of using a Word
Template (dont' think the templates come with the trial version anyway do
they)?

As I asked Tony, lemme know if u know of some program that will create a
quick nice looking resume that I can use, a free program that isn't full of
spyware if I have to download it to use it). I would like to do this a
simple way instead of starting from scratch and having to format and do
everything on my own. (God only knows how it would turn out then !!) Write
back is you have any more suggestions for me, I'd like to hear them. T

Again, Thanks and have a great day.

Sincerely, Joy Dixon

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I'm just bitter and twisted - perhaps it's my age g

Good luck in the new job.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not the format - it's the content that counts! There is no "magic
template" that will guarantee you a job.

Contact me offline and we can talk about some of the things that will or
won't work on a resume.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

news

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Hey There Tony,

You're not "bitter and twisted", just "sour and crooked" - like ME !!!

Have a good one - Joy :}

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uRmySunshine uRmySunshine is offline

Hey JoAnn,

Like I said, I really am "warped" in the mind, how am I suppose to contact
you ??? Lemme know. Thanks (I've been up all night at a temp job and my
mind is fading fast, if it was ever there to begin with

Joy

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use my gmail addy - jl dot paules at gmail dot com. Replace the dots and at
with the appropriate symbol.) Temp workers need to stick together.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]