Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnniePino AnniePino is offline

Default Page break in middle of paragraph

I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is only the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the above, but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnniePino AnniePino is offline

I've done what I think you mean, but it drops the whole paragraph, leaving
too much space at the end of the previous page to look good. I'm just
looking to bring the last 3-4 lines of the paragraph onto the next page.
I've tried highlighting the lines I want to put on the next page and clicking
"keep with next," but everything I've tried involves the whole paragraph.

"AnniePino" wrote in message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is only

the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole

paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the above,

but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

As long as this is a doc that won't be undergoing additional revision &
editing, one option is to place your insertion point at the beginning of the
line you want to force to the next page, then go to InsertBreak. Choose

I'm not sure this would be the preferable choice in other similar
situations, however

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/19/06 8:35 PM, in article
, "AnniePino"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format the long paragraph as "Keep with next."

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"AnniePino" wrote in message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is only

the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole

paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the above,

but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnniePino AnniePino is offline

Thanks for the great advice. I don't want to force the page because, like
you mentioned, it may undergo revisions. I guess I'm spoiled because in
another word processing program that I'm more familiar with, under "keeping
text together" is a conditional end of page option where I can specify how
many lines to keep together at the bottom of that page only without changing
any formatting and not affecting other pages. I'm trying to find out if Word
has that option.

"AnniePino" wrote in message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is only
the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole
paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the above,
but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word, all lines or no lines are kept together, I'm afraid.

I don't think there is much you can do besides splitting the
paragraph. If you don't want to use a manual page break, just split
the paragraph by pressing Enter at the appropriate location and then
format the new paragraph (above the signature line) as "Keep lines
together" and "Page break before."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format the long paragraph as "Keep with next."

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"AnniePino" wrote in

message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next

page is only
the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph

onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the

whole
paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do

the above,
but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the

page endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnniePino AnniePino is offline

That's what I'm finding out...but hoping for a simplier solution. Thanks for
everyone's help. Now I can stop obsessing over "there has to be a way, it
can't be this difficult." This is a great resource!!!! As I am struggling
to learn Word, don't be surprised to hear from me again!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "Block Protect" function in WordPerfect is among several that former WP
users often miss in Word. The first time I discovered that "Keep with next"
is all or nothing in such situations, I was really amazed that this was by
design.

"AnniePino" wrote in message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is

only
the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the

next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole
paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the

above,
but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page

endings
change due to editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stephen Quist Stephen Quist is offline

Doesn't the Widow/Orphan control on the Paragraph Line and Page Breaks tab
prevent
printing just one line, i.e., your signature on a new page?

So how are you creating your signature line? Is it a paragraph by itself? Or
is it a
part of the previous paragraph using shift-Enter? If it's a paragraph by
itself, of course
the Widow/Orphan control is not going to work. If it is part of the previous
paragraph,
I think there's hope.

Steve

"AnniePino" wrote in message
I have a long paragraph at the end of a page. On the next page is only the
signature line. How do I move a few lines of the paragraph onto the next
page without (1) creating a hard page break, (2) moving the whole
paragraph,
or (3) adding returns to move the text down? I know how to do the above,
but
don't want to create anything that would interfere should the page endings
change due to editing.

Page number restart Laura79 Microsoft Word Help 4 June 21st 06 05:53 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Line and Page Break Paragraph formatting not working in table. bookmike Tables 2 August 20th 05 12:46 AM
paragraph style with shading also shades the previous page break BarbaraF Page Layout 1 June 29th 05 04:57 PM
Odd page section break Jenny Page Layout 5 December 15th 04 08:05 AM