Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pppppiglet pppppiglet is offline

Default highlight and replace text

I am using Microsoft Office XP Professional. In the past, when I wanted to
delete and replace text, I did it by highlighting the text I wanted to delete
and typing the text I wanted to appear. The highlighted text would disappear
with the first keystroke.

About 2 weeks ago my Outlook and Word started doing something different. Now
when I highlight text and try to replace it by typing over it, my new text is
inserted at the beginning of the highlighted segment. If I wish to delete the
old text, I have to do that as a separate step. For example, if I wish to
replace the word "dog" with the word "cat," I have to highlight "dog," press
delete, then type in "cat." I would like to eliminate the delete step. (Right
now if I don't first delete the word "dog," I end up with the word "catdog.")
To my knowledge this fluke has only appeared in Outlook and Word.

Thanks for your help!