Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wilfet wilfet is offline

Default open a .txt file and Word is changing page numbers

I am trying to open a .txt file in Word 2003. It changed the page numbers
from original location of the top right corner to the left margin and added
zero's in front of it. The page breaks are also gone. How can I open .txt
files and have Word not change them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

TXT files do not support headers, footers or pages. Any 'pages' shown when
you open a TXT file in Word are simply set as a result of the current page
settings in Word, largely determined by the printer driver. If you save as
plain text those margins and page settings are eliminated from the saved
version. It might be less confusing if you edited txt files in Notepad or a
text editor such as UltraEdit.

wilfet wrote:
I am trying to open a .txt file in Word 2003. It changed the page
numbers from original location of the top right corner to the left
margin and added zero's in front of it. The page breaks are also
gone. How can I open .txt files and have Word not change them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wilfet wilfet is offline

When I used Word on my last computer, I am not sure of the version because it
crashed, but it didn't change the location of the page numbers and kept the
page breaks. I am opening an ASCII file with a page image and it's not
keeping the page image. I am doing this to convert it to a Word document. I
installed all the same printers too.

wilfet wrote:
I am trying to open a .txt file in Word 2003. It changed the page
numbers from original location of the top right corner to the left
margin and added zero's in front of it. The page breaks are also
gone. How can I open .txt files and have Word not change them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't know what you mean by a 'page image' in respect of a text file. A
text file is simply that - text!. It cannot contain images.

wilfet wrote:
I am trying to open a .txt file in Word 2003. It changed the page
numbers from original location of the top right corner to the left
margin and added zero's in front of it. The page breaks are also
gone. How can I open .txt files and have Word not change them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wilfet wilfet is offline

Thank you for your help. I wish I could explain it better to get the answer,
but that's just what it is. When the ASCII file is created, there's a choice
of ASCII with page image or without and it's saved as an ASCII with page
image so it keeps the formatting. This is a legal document so I really can't
let it's format get changed like it is in this program.

wilfet wrote:
I am trying to open a .txt file in Word 2003. It changed the page
numbers from original location of the top right corner to the left
margin and added zero's in front of it. The page breaks are also
gone. How can I open .txt files and have Word not change them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word used to have a filter that allowed documents to be opened and saved in
ASCII format with layout - you can download that filter from my web site. It
*may* do what you want. Set tools options general confirm conversions
on open and select this filter. You will get a security warning message, but
it will still work.

The only other way you can get anything resembling 'page' information is to
take the output from a generic text driver. The only way that will line up
is to have Word's page settings configured in exactly the same way that the
source application created them otherwise the breaks created by Word will
appear in the wrong place.

It would be better if your created text documents did not have this 'page
image' information and allowed Word to format the documents, but then the
legal profession would still prefer to use quills - its one of the ways they
can justify their ridiculous fees.