Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tinachesney

Default how do I keep a dash from changing to a long dash

Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Tony,

It must be more than that. Using Word2000 here, I can check or uncheck
that option in both places and the result of pressing the - key in a
Word document is an en-dash. I can confirm that by performing a Find
operation with - in the find what field (Nothing found). If I put ^=
in the find what field then the find operation finds the - typed with
the AutoCorrect options checked or unchecked. I am stumped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

In my Word 2000, the option is "Symbol characters (--) with symbols (-)" so
typing a single hyphen is not affected - and if I type a single hyphen I get
a single hyphen.

Do you perhaps have an autocorrect which does this? I don't, and don't
recall removing one (so don't think it comes with one) but it has been
installed a long time so I could have done it and forgotten.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony,

It must be more than that. Using Word2000 here, I can check or uncheck
that option in both places and the result of pressing the - key in a
Word document is an en-dash. I can confirm that by performing a Find
operation with - in the find what field (Nothing found). If I put ^=
in the find what field then the find operation finds the - typed with
the AutoCorrect options checked or unchecked. I am stumped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Greg wrote:
Tony,

It must be more than that. Using Word2000 here, I can check or
uncheck that option in both places and the result of pressing the -
key in a Word document is an en-dash. I can confirm that by
performing a Find operation with - in the find what field (Nothing
found). If I put ^= in the find what field then the find operation
finds the - typed with the AutoCorrect options checked or unchecked.
I am stumped.

Hi Greg,

The AutoFormat options Tony mentioned are triggered by typing two hyphens
together, not by a single hyphen. I think you may separately have an
AutoCorrect item in your list. There isn't one by default, but it could have
been added. When I define an entry to convert a single hyphen to an en dash,
it does work.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Suzanne/Tony/Jay,

Well duh! The other day I was having problems with find "-" and I
would have sworn I checked every single entry in the AutoCorrect list.
Apparently I missed it then and had convinced myself that that couldn't
be the cause of the behaviour today. Wrong again. What would mere
mortals like me do if it wasn't for smart people like you? ;-)

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

LOL - I'm sure if I checked *every* single entry in the Autocorrect list my
eyes would glaze over ;-)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne/Tony/Jay,

Well duh! The other day I was having problems with find "-" and I
would have sworn I checked every single entry in the AutoCorrect list.
Apparently I missed it then and had convinced myself that that couldn't
be the cause of the behaviour today. Wrong again. What would mere
mortals like me do if it wasn't for smart people like you? ;-)

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tinachesney

Changing the Auto* settings was the answer, but it only occurred when I typed
in "[space]-[space]" not when I typed in [letter]-[letter] - thanks

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony,

It must be more than that. Using Word2000 here, I can check or uncheck
that option in both places and the result of pressing the - key in a
Word document is an en-dash. I can confirm that by performing a Find
operation with - in the find what field (Nothing found). If I put ^=
in the find what field then the find operation finds the - typed with
the AutoCorrect options checked or unchecked. I am stumped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, that option *does* affect single hyphens, but only when they are
surrounded by spaces. The reason for this is that in the U.K. it is
customary to use spaceen dashspace the way we use an (unspaced) em
dash in the U.S. In the past I've experimented with various combinations of
hyphens and spaces to see which ones trigger the conversion, and I don't
ever remember all the results, but they're interesting. The most common user
error is thinking the conversion *hasn't* worked because it doesn't fire
until you type a space or punctuation after the word following the dash.

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony,

It must be more than that. Using Word2000 here, I can check or uncheck
that option in both places and the result of pressing the - key in a
Word document is an en-dash. I can confirm that by performing a Find
operation with - in the find what field (Nothing found). If I put ^=
in the find what field then the find operation finds the - typed with
the AutoCorrect options checked or unchecked. I am stumped.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Tony--can you explain the difference in what happens when you boxes in
AutoFormat vs. AutoFormat as you type?

Arlene

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, but I'm asking the question more generically--not
specifically about the dash/hyphen issue.

Arlene

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's why I referred you to Jay's answer, which explains the difference
between AutoFormat and AutoFormat As You Type.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Please see Jay's response to your previous question on the same subject.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in

message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Am I missing something? Here is the only reply I see from Jay and it does not
explain the difference:

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in

message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The reply I am referring to is to your post with the subject line
"AutoFormat v. AutoFormat As You Type," as follows:

If all the options in the two tabs of the options dialog are set the
same way, then their results will be identical. If the options are set
differently, then "as you type" autoformatting will behave the way its
options dictate, while the "command" autoformatting will behave as the
other set of options dictates.

The "command" version is useful when you get your text by importing it
from somewhere else rather than typing it. That might be a plain-text
file, copy/paste from another program (e.g., a web browser), or
somewhere else. Let's say you get a long text file from someplace,
maybe a database, and it contains web or email addresses. You want
those addresses to turn into hyperlinks. Go into the AutoFormat
options (not the As You Type options, since you won't be typing
anything) and turn off everything except the "Internet and network
paths with hyperlinks" box. Then run the AutoFormat command, and it
will do all those replacements in one step without affecting anything
else.

Earlier, he replied:

A bit of advice: ALWAYS mention in any post that you're using Word
2007. Its interface is so different from any previous version that the
answer will usually depend on knowing that fact.

In earlier versions, the AutoFormat command was on the Format menu. In
Word 2007, which doesn't have a menu bar, most of the old menu
commands are represented by buttons on the ribbon. However, the
command to start an AutoFormat was very rarely used, so it isn't on
any of the ribbon tabs. You have to customize the Quick Access Toolbar
to put a button there for it.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in

message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The reply Suzanne referred to was the one (actually three) in the
thread "AutoFormat v. AutoFormat As You Type" in this newsgroup, which
you certainly know about since we have interleaved posts there.

This is one of the significant drawbacks of asking the same question
multiple times in different threads -- you can never be sure of which
thread contains which posts.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:04:21 -0700, Arlene
wrote:

Am I missing something? Here is the only reply I see from Jay and it does not
explain the difference:

Hi Greg,

The AutoFormat options Tony mentioned are triggered by typing two hyphens
together, not by a single hyphen. I think you may separately have an
AutoCorrect item in your list. There isn't one by default, but it could have
been added. When I define an entry to convert a single hyphen to an en dash,
it does work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to this, I'm not seeing that particular reply from Jay any more, but
a single hyphen *will* be converted to an en dash if it is preceded by a
space; this is true whether or not it is followed by a space, though the
purpose of this conversion is to achieve the spaced en dash (space-en
dash-space) that is used in British documents instead of an em dash with no
spaces.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

It's an autoformat ...

Tools AutoCorrect Options
On both the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs
Uncheck replace hyphens with dash

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"tinachesney" wrote in

message
Is there a default setting of some type?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Thanks, Suzanne and Jay, and I apologize for any confusion. This information
is extremely helpful to me.

Arlene