Symbols for chess pieces

Old December 10th 07, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

Default Symbols for chess pieces

How do I get symbols for chess pieces in a Word doc? I had some in a
document from a couple of years ago, but now what used to be a black
king is now a "7", etc.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 10th 07, 04:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

PS - I also want to convert the Doc file to an HTML file, and have the
chess piece symbols display properly.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 10th 07, 04:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:57:21 -0500, Jud McCranie
wrote:

How do I get symbols for chess pieces in a Word doc? I had some in a
document from a couple of years ago, but now what used to be a black
king is now a "7", etc.

If you thought to Google for "chess font" you'd find lots of sites,
such as http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm.

If Word tells you the name of the font that was originally used in the
document, Google for that specific font.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old December 10th 07, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:28:50 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

If you thought to Google for "chess font" you'd find lots of sites,
such as http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm.

If Word tells you the name of the font that was originally used in the
document, Google for that specific font.

I did search on Google, but I didn't include "font". I picked out a
font, downloaded it and installed it, and it works for me. I created
an HTML file from my Doc file, and it works on my computer. But I'm
planning to put the HTML file on my website - will it show up properly
for other people (who have not installed that font)?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 10th 07, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

wrote:

If you thought to Google for "chess font" you'd find lots of sites,
such as http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm.

If Word tells you the name of the font that was originally used in the
document, Google for that specific font.

I did search on Google, but I didn't include "font". I picked out a
font, downloaded it and installed it, and it works for me. I created
an HTML file from my Doc file, and it works on my computer. But I'm
planning to put the HTML file on my website - will it show up properly
for other people (who have not installed that font)?

No, it will not show up properly unless they have installed the same
font. Instead, they'll see the letters in Times New Roman or whatever
their default font is.

You have two choices: Make the font file available for download on
your page (assuming it's a freeware font), with instructions on how to
install it; or make your web page with graphics (.jpg, .gif, or .png)
of the characters or of the entire diagram. For the latter, you can
use screen shots of diagrams that you set up in Word using the fonts;
I recommend SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) as the most flexible choice for
that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old December 10th 07, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:50:25 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

You have two choices: Make the font file available for download on
your page (assuming it's a freeware font), with instructions on how to
install it; or make your web page with graphics (.jpg, .gif, or .png)
of the characters or of the entire diagram. For the latter, you can
use screen shots of diagrams that you set up in Word using the fonts;
I recommend SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) as the most flexible choice for
that.

Having the reader install the font is more than they should have to
do. I want to use the piece figurines in lines of text, which is easy
when inserting them as a symbol/character, but I wonder if inserting a
graphic each time is very practical. I'll look at Snagit.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 10th 07, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

wrote:

You have two choices: Make the font file available for download on
your page (assuming it's a freeware font), with instructions on how
to install it; or make your web page with graphics (.jpg, .gif, or
.png) of the characters or of the entire diagram. For the latter,
you can use screen shots of diagrams that you set up in Word using
the fonts; I recommend SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) as the most
flexible choice for that.

Having the reader install the font is more than they should have to
do. I want to use the piece figurines in lines of text, which is easy
when inserting them as a symbol/character, but I wonder if inserting a
graphic each time is very practical. I'll look at Snagit.

Try this, then: Make a screen shot of each piece's character, insert the
screen shot into some document, select it, and make it into a formatted
AutoCorrect entry (for example, to replace bq/ with a picture of the black
queen).

Using these automatically replaced abbreviations, you can type your text
almost normally and not have to worry about individually inserting pictures.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old December 11th 07, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:52:23 -0500, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

Try this, then: Make a screen shot of each piece's character, insert the
screen shot into some document, select it, and make it into a formatted ...

As a test, I got SnagIt and captured the image of a piece, and did
"insert .. file". That works well enough, except that I have two
concerns (1) if I change the background color of the text, the chess
piece background will be unchanged, (2) if the size of the font
changes, I doubt that the chess piece size will be changed. But that
might be about as close to a solution as I can get.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old December 11th 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

wrote:

Try this, then: Make a screen shot of each piece's character, insert
the screen shot into some document, select it, and make it into a
formatted ...

As a test, I got SnagIt and captured the image of a piece, and did
"insert .. file". That works well enough, except that I have two
concerns (1) if I change the background color of the text, the chess
piece background will be unchanged, (2) if the size of the font
changes, I doubt that the chess piece size will be changed. But that
might be about as close to a solution as I can get.

For #1, when the picture is in the Word document (or if you open it in a
separate graphics editor), you can specify that the background color of the
picture should be transparent. There's a tool for that in Word's Picture
toolbar. I know this works with .gif graphics, not sure about other formats.

I don't think you can do anything about #2.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old December 11th 07, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:34:53 -0500, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

For #1, when the picture is in the Word document (or if you open it in a
separate graphics editor), you can specify that the background color of the
picture should be transparent. There's a tool for that in Word's Picture
toolbar. I know this works with .gif graphics, not sure about other formats.

OK, thanks. SnapIt happened to capture it as a png, but I'll see what
I can do.
--
Replace you know what by j to email