R. Choate

Default pictures aren't visible

When I paste pictures of any kind into Word, it only shows me a border that indicates the size of the picture, not the pic itself.
When I move the cursor away from the newly pasted invisible picture, the border also becomes invisible. I've had this copy of Word
for a long time (version XP) and it did not used to do this. I can't find any settings which would affect this. How can I fix this?

PS: The pictures do show up in Excel or any other Office app, just not in Word.

Thanks in advance. If I have posted to the wrong group, please accept my apology.

--
RMC,CPA

Jay Freedman

In Tools Options View, clear the checkbox for "Picture placeholders".
Further down in the same dialog, make sure "Drawings" is checked.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

R. Choate wrote:
When I paste pictures of any kind into Word, it only shows me a
border that indicates the size of the picture, not the pic itself.
When I move the cursor away from the newly pasted invisible picture,
the border also becomes invisible. I've had this copy of Word for a
long time (version XP) and it did not used to do this. I can't find
any settings which would affect this. How can I fix this?

PS: The pictures do show up in Excel or any other Office app, just
not in Word.

Thanks in advance. If I have posted to the wrong group, please accept
my apology.

D. Turnipseed

I am having a similar problem and have not found a solution to it yet, but I
have observed some things that may be helpful.
First check if our symptoms match up more or less:
I put in pictures or autoshapes and, while they appear for a time, they
disappear when I scroll them off the screen and scroll back to them, or when
I slide a window over the top of the Word window -- it's almost as if the
document doesn't refresh these objects. I can actually move another window
part way over the object and move it away, and it's as if I have erased part
of the object. If I cover the whole object with that window, then after that
all I see is the text of the document (object disappears). The
autoshapes/drawings are still present, but they are only visible in print
preview, or when I click on them and choose a tool like the crop tool from
the drawing toolbar. I've found that I can also view then for a time if I
right-click on one of them and choose ORDER | BRING TO FRONT or BRING IN
FRONT OF TEXT. Just as you mentioned, if I click the location where those
objects are supposed to be, I can see their frames, but the desired objects
are not visible. Do you experience similar behavior, or do your objects ever
reappear?
Here's what I suspect my problems is:
I have a second installation on my laptop and I don't have this problem at
all. I have not updated that version for some time, but I have all of the
latest updates on this installation (desktop computer). I suspect this might
have something to do with it, but I don't have time to uninstall and then
reinstall to an unpatched version right now to find out. I was hoping to
come out here and find a quick answer, but even Google hasn't turned up
anything on this one. If you have time to devote to such an undertaking,
perhaps you could investigate on your own -- that is, if you have patched
your Office installation. If you were to reinstall and leave the
installation unpatched to verify whether the behavior persists, at least you
could rule out the possibility that this behavior was brought on by a patch.
You could then patch your system incrementally to try and isolate which patch
caused the problem (you should be able to go to Service Pack 1 with no
problems).
I brought up my laptop to verify that the versions were different, and they
are. The version on my laptop is (11.6359.6360) SP1 and the version that's
on my desktop is (11.6502.6408) SP1. I wish I had used my desktop
installation a little more before I had patched it so that I could tell you
for sure that updating was the source of my problem. Maybe Microsoft will
actually pay you for beta-testing their product for them :-).
This has got me curious now. Perhaps I will reinstall on my desktop and use
my laptop while I wait. I will report back later.

D. Turnipseed
Microsoft Frustrated User MSGRRRR

R. Choate wrote:
When I paste pictures of any kind into Word, it only shows me a
border that indicates the size of the picture, not the pic itself.
When I move the cursor away from the newly pasted invisible picture,
the border also becomes invisible. I've had this copy of Word for a
long time (version XP) and it did not used to do this. I can't find
any settings which would affect this. How can I fix this?

PS: The pictures do show up in Excel or any other Office app, just
not in Word.

Thanks in advance. If I have posted to the wrong group, please accept
my apology.

D. Turnipseed

That wasn't it. I'm running version (11.5604.5606) now and there's no
difference in behavior. There was another post
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...25c&sloc=en-us) that looks like it might address this issue.

R. Choate wrote:
When I paste pictures of any kind into Word, it only shows me a
border that indicates the size of the picture, not the pic itself.
When I move the cursor away from the newly pasted invisible picture,
the border also becomes invisible. I've had this copy of Word for a
long time (version XP) and it did not used to do this. I can't find
any settings which would affect this. How can I fix this?

PS: The pictures do show up in Excel or any other Office app, just
not in Word.

Thanks in advance. If I have posted to the wrong group, please accept
my apology.

D. Turnipseed

Following the course of action in the post referenced in my last did not
solve my problem, but it is on the right track and might work for others.
After updating my video card driver, I still encountered the same problem.
However, this prompted me to take a closer look at the video card as the
source of the problem. Brought up the hardware acceleration troubleshooting
dialog by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing PROPERTIES | SETTINGS
Tab | ADVANCED Button | TROUBLESHOOT Tab and proceeded to decrease the
hardware acceleration incrementally (move slider one notch to the left and
click apply). Each time, I tried my document again and found that it started
working normally when the slider was set on the third notch from the left.
My card is an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB. I hope this info is helpful.

R. Choate wrote:
When I paste pictures of any kind into Word, it only shows me a
border that indicates the size of the picture, not the pic itself.
When I move the cursor away from the newly pasted invisible picture,
the border also becomes invisible. I've had this copy of Word for a
long time (version XP) and it did not used to do this. I can't find
any settings which would affect this. How can I fix this?

PS: The pictures do show up in Excel or any other Office app, just
not in Word.

Thanks in advance. If I have posted to the wrong group, please accept
my apology.

TF

Well until now, no one has mentioned that the pictures are visible for a
short while and then disappear. That's a significant difference from saying
that all you see is an outline!

THIS IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROBLEM!

This is caused by a bad graphics driver that is unable to refresh the
overlay mode (in Word, that is the graphics layer) correctly. Both Intel
(the 915 chipset using the Intel GMA900 PCI-E controller) and ATI have
posted new drivers on their sites that resolves the problem.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"D. Turnipseed" wrote in message
[...]
:
:
:
: "R. Choate" wrote:
:
: I had already checked those settings and they were already set as
you suggested.
: --
: RMC,CPA
:
:
: Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
:
: R. Choate wrote:
[...]

R. Choate

Hang on, TF. Turnipseed is the one with the graphics card issue. I am not able to see any pics at all, just as I said originally,
even for a second. I can only see an outline and it isn't because of the placeholder settings. I checked the most obvious things
before posting. Also, I think I mentioned that I can paste and view pics into Excel, Publisher, etc. just fine, but not Word. I
still have the problem and am considering using the repair utility from the install disk. Any other ideas?

Thanks !!
--
RMC,CPA

:
:
:
: R. Choate wrote:
[...]

TF

Oops. Sorry. I didn't realise that the thread had been kidnapped by someone
else. I wish users would stop taking over someone else's thread and post a
new question about their problem!

I wonder if this is maybe a printer driver problem. Let's try a couple of
tests.

1. Check on the Internet support site for your printer manufacturer and see
if they have a newer printer driver and download if there is.
2. Go to printers and Faxes and delete the current printer. Then either
install the new driver (if available) or reinstall the old driver and assign
it as windows default. Test.

If this doesn't work, try starting Word in Safe Mode and let us know the
result of the test.

1. From Start, Run, type in

winword /a

and press return. Word will start in Safe Mode. Open a document with a
graphic and see if you can see it now.

Terry