Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slm slm is offline

Default Cancel a save and revert to previous saved version?

I accidently saved an old file over the name of a newer version. By some
miracle is there a way to undo this? I have just lost myself about 1/2 day
of work? Help!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cancel a save and revert to previous saved version?

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that happened! Luckily, there is a way to potentially recover your lost work. Here's what you can try:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Info" in the left-hand menu.
  3. Under "Versions," click on the drop-down menu next to "Manage Document" and select "Recover Unsaved Documents."
  4. This will open a new window with a list of unsaved documents. Look for the one that matches the file you were working on and click on it to open it.
  5. If you're lucky, this will open a version of your document that includes some or all of the work you lost. Save this version with a new name to avoid overwriting any other files.

If this doesn't work, there are a few other things you can try:
  1. Check your computer's recycle bin or trash folder to see if the original file is still there. If it is, you can restore it to its original location and continue working on it.
  2. If you have a backup system in place (such as OneDrive or Dropbox), check to see if there are any previous versions of the file saved there that you can restore.
  3. If all else fails, you may need to redo the work you lost. It's not ideal, but it's better than losing it forever!

I hope this helps you recover your lost work. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have "Automatically create backup copy" checked on the Save tab of
Tools | Options, you can find the next-most-recent version of the document
as "Backup of filename.wbk" in the same folder with the document (you'll
have to select All Files to see it). If you saved frequently while working,
this may be very close to the final version that you inadvertently
overwrote.

"SLM" wrote in message
I accidently saved an old file over the name of a newer version. By some
miracle is there a way to undo this? I have just lost myself about 1/2

day
of work? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you save as over an existing filename, you don't get a backup of the
original. However, I missed your point about older backups from saving
frequently.

"SLM" wrote in message
I accidently saved an old file over the name of a newer version.
By some miracle is there a way to undo this? I have just lost
myself about 1/2 day of work? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another option exists if the user has Vista Business, Enterprise, or
Ultimate. When you right-click a file and open its properties, there is now
a Previous Versions tab. Vista makes "shadow" copies of files when you
edit/change them. For some files, for example, I see as many as three or
more prior versions this way. WikiPedia describes it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy.

I really wish Microsoft had put this feature into Home Premium. However, it
does provide us with an additional potential solution when people ask this
sort of question.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"SLM" wrote in message
I accidently saved an old file over the name of a newer version.
By some miracle is there a way to undo this? I have just lost
myself about 1/2 day of work? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Sounds good, but I wonder how open it is to manipulation.Historically file
dates have never stood up to legal scrutiny without corroboration.

"SLM" wrote in message
I accidently saved an old file over the name of a newer version.
By some miracle is there a way to undo this? I have just lost
myself about 1/2 day of work? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No clue... but for non-legalistic purposes, it seems accurate here at least.
Then again, I don't get up in the middle of the night and try to trick
myself into thinking the timeline for my work is something that it's not. At
least, I don't *think* I do. ;-)