Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jennifer jennifer is offline

Default Columns in a document

I have a document that I created 2 columns for the text in the document, now
as part of the instructions I'm supposed to insert a graphic and stretch it
across the entire document (i.e. end the columns)
I cannot figure out how to end the colums so that the graphic will go across
the entire page.

HELP! please
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Insert - Break - Section Break

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jennifer" wrote in message
I have a document that I created 2 columns for the text in the document,
now
as part of the instructions I'm supposed to insert a graphic and stretch
it
across the entire document (i.e. end the columns)
I cannot figure out how to end the colums so that the graphic will go
across
the entire page.

HELP! please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are (at least) two ways to do this:

1. Insert a Continuous section break (actually, you'll need two, one on
either side of the graphic, if you need to continue the columnar text below
the graphic). Using Format | Columns, choose a single column for the new
section and insert your graphic.

2. Insert your graphic, change the wrapping (if necessary) from In Line with
Text to Square, and size and position it across the columns as required.

Note that the results of these two operations will be different:

Using method 1, you will have text wrapped into two columns above the
graphic and text below the graphic continuing in two columns, sort of like
this:

Before pictu

A1 B1
A2 B2

After pictu

A1 A2
Picture
B1 B2

Using method 2, the text will continue as before but wrap "around" the
picture, like this:

A1 B1
Picture
A2 B2