Skids

Default Changing Reading view to page width zoom

bump

I use Word 03 with SP1 on a laptop with a 14" screen with XP Pro. I would
like to use reading view more often but it always shrinks down to "whole
page" view and wastes 3" of screen to the right and the left of my doc. I
want to be able to use it in "Page Width" or even better "Text Width" zoom
but help files don't say how. Even if I increase text size it just displays
fewer words in same space. I notice the zoom pull down disappears in reading
view when switching from normal view. It makes no difference if I do two
pages side by side or just one. The one is the same tiny size as a two page
view, just centered on screen

Thanks.
Skids

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2tpZHM=?=,

I use Word 03 with SP1 on a laptop with a 14" screen with XP Pro. I would
like to use reading view more often but it always shrinks down to "whole
page" view and wastes 3" of screen to the right and the left of my doc. I
want to be able to use it in "Page Width" or even better "Text Width" zoom
but help files don't say how. Even if I increase text size it just displays
fewer words in same space. I notice the zoom pull down disappears in reading
view when switching from normal view. It makes no difference if I do two
pages side by side or just one. The one is the same tiny size as a two page
view, just centered on screen

the Reading Pane isn't set up to do this. It's set up to display one or two
pages, as when reading a book, whereby the "pages" in this view will not
necessarily correspond to the page breaks in any other view. The width of a
page is designed to be easily scanned by the eye, and is not adjustable.

The Print Layout or the Normal view would be more appropriate to what you
describe.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Skids

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

the Reading Pane isn't set up to do this. It's set up to display one or two
pages, as when reading a book, whereby the "pages" in this view will not
necessarily correspond to the page breaks in any other view. The width of a
page is designed to be easily scanned by the eye, and is not adjustable.

I understand the intent of reading view and have scanned all the help files
about it. I like the clarity of the text, but without a magnifing glass it is
not very useful. The page comes out looking just slightly larger than a
thumbnail of the doc. At least 50% of the available screen is just blue grey
background. Anything I can do to trick it into thinking it should display on
a 21" screen ? then maybe it would blow up a little more.

Skids

Thanks for trying to help. I'm sure you are both well intentioned. I am not
a moron. I used to program unix to do applied physics for a living. I am in
reading view. Reading view can display one page or two side by side. Just
clcik the button on the toolbar that says "Allow Multiple Pages" and it
switches. The issus is that when I click it so only one page is displayed, it
does not use the three inches on left and right of the document. Clicking
zoom makes the text larger in the same view but doesn't use any more of the
screen. The previewed page image is the same tiny size in side by side or
single. That is the issue.

I think I am barking up the wrong tree here. I get the impression someone at
microsoft desgined this "feature" on their 21" monitor and it looked great,
but didn't have the time to test it on a standard 14" notebook screen.

Maybe in Word 2005 or 2006 it will be useful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This doesn't sound like a description of Reading Layout view at all. When I
use that view, the two facing pages take up the entire window, and text is
reflowed to a readable size (doesn't reflect the line or page breaks of the
original).

Okay, I see what you're saying about the single page, but there's still
something wrong with what you're seeing. When I use Reading Layout view, the
text size is the same as it is in Normal view at 100% zoom. If the text on
your page is unreadable in Reading Layout view, then I would have to assume
that's because it's very small in the document. What is the point size of
the text in the document? And do you usually have to use a Zoom ratio higher
than 100% to view your documents?

In any case, what I may have lost sight of here is why you are using Reading
Layout view if you find it unsatisfactory. Why not just use another view in
which you can set the Zoom permanently at a convenient reading size?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This doesn't sound like a description of Reading Layout view at all.

When I
use that view, the two facing pages take up the entire window, and text

is
reflowed to a readable size (doesn't reflect the line or page breaks of

the
original).

Skids

The documents I have looked at at Times New Roman 9 and 11. My normal zoom is
100% which I usually change to around 130 which is what ever setting zoom to
text width makes it.

I would like to use it for viewing email attachments in outlook, it can be
helpful when reading digests of in plain text, especially since the text
appears to be some kind of optimized true type font for a screen instead of
the bit mapped fonts normally used. It's obvious the individual fonts are
rendered to screen better in this view.

Do you have the same wasted screen space to your right and left side of the
reading view image of the page if you let it only display one page (not side
by side)?

Yes, when I change the view to a single page, I do have wasted space (as I
would in any view that displays an entire page). Short of zooming in, there
is no way to get Reading Layout view to show less than the page height,
which naturally results in wasted space. And there doesn't seem to be any
way to set the default zoom for Reading Layout view (as there is in Print
Preview).

"Skids" wrote in message
The documents I have looked at at Times New Roman 9 and 11. My normal zoom

is
100% which I usually change to around 130 which is what ever setting zoom

text width makes it.

I would like to use it for viewing email attachments in outlook, it can be
helpful when reading digests of in plain text, especially since the text
appears to be some kind of optimized true type font for a screen instead

of
the bit mapped fonts normally used. It's obvious the individual fonts are
rendered to screen better in this view.

Do you have the same wasted screen space to your right and left side of

the
reading view image of the page if you let it only display one page (not

side
by side)?

Skids

Thank you this is what I wanted to know.

Hopefully they will improve this in the future
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2tpZHM=?=,

"Wasted screen space", yes, because you're supposed to be looking at a page.
However, have you tried using the magnifying glass button with a + on it? On my
installation, it's just to the left of the Multipage button. That will increase
the displayed font size on the screen.

As I mentioned in my first reply (I've been gone for a week, which is why I
didn't jump back in before now), there is no allowance to make the page width
wider, as it's supposedly optimized for scanning down.

The documents I have looked at at Times New Roman 9 and 11. My normal zoom is
100% which I usually change to around 130 which is what ever setting zoom to
text width makes it.

I would like to use it for viewing email attachments in outlook, it can be
helpful when reading digests of in plain text, especially since the text
appears to be some kind of optimized true type font for a screen instead of
the bit mapped fonts normally used. It's obvious the individual fonts are
rendered to screen better in this view.

Do you have the same wasted screen space to your right and left side of the
reading view image of the page if you let it only display one page (not side
by side)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

I've just read another reply from Cindy Meister in another newsgroup and
discovered what I think you may be missing (I did). There are + and -
buttons on the toolbar to increase/decrease the text size. This is not like
Zoom, as Reading Layout view continues to display one or two full "pages,"
but the text size can be increased. This should allow you to easily read the
text even in a two-page spread.

"Skids" wrote in message
Thank you this is what I wanted to know.

Hopefully they will improve this in the future

Skids

Yes , I have used the buttons. No, it is not helpful.

The issue which I seemed to have failed to communicate to you is that so
little text is displayed, that at the + increased text size the page edges do
not grow anty closer to the screen I still get same wasted space on both
sides. Once I have increased the text large enough to view it, I am
displayinng as little as one third of the page hieght at a time, at which
pooint have to scroll down so much and so frequently I should just print it
and burn another tree.

This would be avoided if one could force the reading view mini-window to use
the whole screen on single page view. Then on a 14" laptop , the top half of
a single page would fill the screen.

Is my goal clear?