Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kate Kate is offline

Default No Address Block - Putting Info into Return Address?

Hi all,

Hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense.

I did an envelope mail merge, using an excel list and the "step my by step
mail merge wizard (I am not a mail merge expert). The first time, it went
great - put my return address in the upper left, and created a box in the
center of the envelope where I inserted the address information.

Unfortunately, I realized I was using the wrong list, after finishing the
merge and closing it. I thought, no prob, I will just do another merge. Now,
however, when I try to do the merge, using a sheet out of the same excel
file, instead of creating a new box in the center for the addresses, it is
trying to put the info into the return address area.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to correct it? I want my
address box back!!!

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kate Kate is offline

Okay upon further research, the thing that has disappeared is actually called
the "frame." As mentioned previously, when I initially ran the wizard, the
frame was there automatically, but now it has vanished. Help please!

"Kate" wrote:

Hi all,

Hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense.

I did an envelope mail merge, using an excel list and the "step my by step
mail merge wizard (I am not a mail merge expert). The first time, it went
great - put my return address in the upper left, and created a box in the
center of the envelope where I inserted the address information.

Unfortunately, I realized I was using the wrong list, after finishing the
merge and closing it. I thought, no prob, I will just do another merge. Now,
however, when I try to do the merge, using a sheet out of the same excel
file, instead of creating a new box in the center for the addresses, it is
trying to put the info into the return address area.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to correct it? I want my
address box back!!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you start right from the beginning again, you should avoid the problem.
Alternatively, see the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kate Kate is offline

Yeah, I tried restarting it from scratch several times, and even restarted
the whole SYSTEM... no dice. The frame was there the first time, now it's
gone. Just tried it on another computer, still no frame. Dunno what I am
doing wrong.

Kate

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are probably doing nothing wrong. The frame is part of the Envelope
Address style and will not be visible unless selected. This is explained in
the link Doug posted. When setting up a merge, the cursor, by default will
go to the first editable area of the envelope, which is the return address.
You must select the frame in order to insert a field. Click the area where
you expect the frame to be and if you click in the correct place it will be
highlighted. If you still can't find it, use the following macro to locate
the style

Sub FindEnvelopeStyle()
With Selection
.HomeKey wdStory
With .Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Envelope Address")
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Execute
End With
End With
End Sub

If all else fails use the appropriate envelope template linked from the
bottom of the page Doug pointed you towards as that certainly does have the
frame.