sue

Default How can I get rid of the space at the beginning of mail merge?

In mail merge, everytime we merge with the word doc in the address or label
it leaves a blank space in the first space of the first line. Also, how do
you personalize each salutation? some are dear mr. & mrs. and some are dear
jane? it seems all you can do is all the same or nothing.
Graham Mayor

Stop using the address block field and insert the individual fields that you
require (see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm )

If you have a means of automatically identifying which records require which
salutation then you can use conditional fields to pick the correct version
e.g.. If your record has a first name, you may wish to use Dear FirstName.
If it has only a surname, you may wish to use Dear Mr Surname and if it has
neither, you may wish to use Dear Sir.

In the case of a merge from Outlook this could be:

Dear { IF{ MERGEFIELD First_Name } "" "{ MERGEFIELD First_Name }" "{ IF
{ MERGEFIELD Last_Name } "" "{ MERGEFIELD Title } { MERGEFIELD
Last_Name }" "Sir/Madam"}" }