Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Lisa is offline

Default Alphabetizing a list.

Forgive me if this is a question in which an answer has already been posted.
I am attempting to organize a client list for my manager and it needs to be
alphabetized and easily accessible for any changes/updates as required. What
would be the best way to go about this? The information included on this list
is (and in this order) Company Name, Address, telephone #, contact name.

She isn't interested in having it done in Excel or Access, she wants the
list in a mailing list format. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Word is a moronic choice for this. Whatever your manager might think
'mailing list format' means, Outlook (it has a contact list!), Excel, and
Access are all *much* better choices. Has your manager never heard of
mailmerge?

However, assuming each of your clients is in Word your document as a series
of paragraphs, format the first of these with a heading style (the name,
presumably), then display the document in outline view, show only the
headings, select all, sort (on the Table menu).

"Lisa" wrote in message
Forgive me if this is a question in which an answer has already been
posted.
I am attempting to organize a client list for my manager and it needs to
be
alphabetized and easily accessible for any changes/updates as required.
What
would be the best way to go about this? The information included on this
list
is (and in this order) Company Name, Address, telephone #, contact name.

She isn't interested in having it done in Excel or Access, she wants the
list in a mailing list format. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If you don't have a list of records typed yet this is one of the simplest
ways:

In a new document go to ToolsLetters & MailingsMail Merge. At the bottom
of the Mail Merge Task Pane click the link for 'next step' twice to get to
"Step 3 of 6", choose the option for Type a new list, then click Create and
use the form that opens to create your list. The list is saved as a mailing
database (.mdb) file that you can reuse.

It would also be useful to look up 'mail merge' in Word Help and on the MS
web site as well as http://word.mvps.org/faqs/MailMerge/index.htm to find
out more about how to take advantage of the list once it is created.

BTW - this assumes you are *not* using Word 2007. If you are the procedure
will be different. Always good to mention verson when you ask for assistance
:-)
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Lisa" wrote in message
Forgive me if this is a question in which an answer has already been
posted.
I am attempting to organize a client list for my manager and it needs to
be
alphabetized and easily accessible for any changes/updates as required.
What
would be the best way to go about this? The information included on this
list
is (and in this order) Company Name, Address, telephone #, contact name.

She isn't interested in having it done in Excel or Access, she wants the
list in a mailing list format. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm and jump in
where it matches what you have.
Better still use an Outlook contacts list which was intended for the task -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm