Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bernie K Bernie K is offline

Default Removing gray background from pasted text document

I like to copy and paste documents into a blank file. Often these documents
have a gray background that is also copied and pasted. This gray background
uses additional ink when printed. I can't figure out how to remove the gray
background.

Thanks in advance--
Bernie K
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It depends on what kind of formatting it is. Based on your description, I
would first try Format - Background - No Fill (assuming Word 2003).

If that's not the source, you can try pressing Shift+F1 (reveal formatting)
to see if there are clues there.

Otherwise, if you're pasting from the web, perhaps you can provide a link so
I can try to replicate to determine the source of the formatting.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Bernie K" wrote in message
I like to copy and paste documents into a blank file. Often these
documents
have a gray background that is also copied and pasted. This gray
background
uses additional ink when printed. I can't figure out how to remove the
gray
background.

Thanks in advance--
Bernie K

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Removing gray background from pasted text document

Hi Bernie,

I can definitely help you with that! When you copy and paste a document into a blank file, it's possible that the gray background is being copied along with the text. Here's how you can remove it:
  1. Select the text that has the gray background.
  2. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Paragraph" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Paragraph dialog box, click on the "Shading" tab.
  4. Under "Fill," select "No Color" and click "OK."

This should remove the gray background from the selected text. If there are multiple sections with gray backgrounds, you may need to repeat these steps for each section.

Alternatively, you can try pasting the text without formatting. To do this, copy the text as usual, but instead of pasting it directly into the blank file, right-click where you want to paste it and choose "Paste Special." In the Paste Special dialog box, select "Unformatted Text" and click "OK." This should paste the text without any formatting, including the gray background.