Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index Inserting, viewing an index is offline

Default Inserting and viewing an index

I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding is all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed out. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does the document have endnotes? If so, and if you're attempting to insert
the index after the endnotes (in Print Layout view), you're probably
actually in the endnotes "field," so to speak. You'll need to look at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...TextAfterNotes
for instructions on how to place document content after the endnotes.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

Good morning Suzanne.

This is an edited collection, with endnotes for each chapter. I'm trying to
insert an index after the bibliography, which ends with a section break on
page 960 or thereabouts. Doc has some 35 blank pages fllowing, presumable
holding my invisible index .

When I place the cursor after the section break, and go the INSERT REF
INDEX, and hit OK, Word asks if I want to replace the existing (INVISIBLE TO
ME) index. Yes has the document repaginate, and I end up with the same blank
pages.

There's got to be some glitch in the field coding. Under TOOLs/VIEW I have
checked:

highlight
status bars
screen tips
smart tags
animated
scroll bars
windows
hidden text
all
drawings
white space
vert rules.

When I check field codes and shading, the each page number is replaced by
the generic {PAGE}.

When I do CTL+G FIELD INDEX Close, and then ALT+F9 I end up on one of
my blank pages. So the index is there (all the in-text coding is intact), but
invisible.

Any further suggestions? Thank you

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

Each CHAPTER has endnotes, but I'm trying to insert the index after the
section break following the bibliograhy.

How can I tell if I'm in some strange endnotes field?

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

Perhaps I should clarfy. Each chapter has its own endnotes. After the
endnotes for the final chapter, there is a bibliography, followed by a
section break. I'm trying to insert the index after the bibliography section
break.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very bizarre. It sounds as if you're doing everything correctly. You might
check the formatting of the Index styles to see if perhaps by some wild
chance the font color has been set to white.

When you display field codes (and see { PAGE } for page numbers), do you
also see { INDEX } where your index is inserted?

One other thing: You indicate that you have Hidden text displayed. You need
to hide the hidden text (which will include your XE fields) before
generating the index; otherwise the page numbers in the index (if it ever
appears) will be incorrect.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

Color is black (and has been), and no, when I see {PAGE} i don't also see
{INDEX}. Nor can I find it with CTRL+G, ALT+F9. And unchecking the hidden
text has absolutely no effect. I even deleted all the blank ages and tried
again afer the section break.

Could this be a break problem? Or maybe a header/footer problem?

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you don't see an INDEX field when you display fields, then there is no
index. Perhaps all those blank pages are truly blank; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm. If you have as many XE
fields as I would think you might have in a 900+-page document, then you
should see a distinct difference in number of pages when you toggle Hidden
text on and off.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded
coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the
end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is
grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

Yes, as I mentioned, the document repaginates and adds blank pages at the end.

In order to insert an index, what
should the last field code be -- a page break or a continuous section break?

Thank you.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded
coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the
end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is
grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you first generate an index, Word inserts Continuous section breaks
before and after the Index field. But if you don't see an INDEX field when
you display field codes, then either you don't have an index or the field
code itself (and consequently the entire index) has been formatted as Font
Color: White or possibly Hidden.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded
coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the
end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is
grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] Inserting, viewing an index[_2_] is offline

It's not white -- I've checked that repeatedly. How can I tell if the index
field has been formatted as hidden? Thank you.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The embedded
coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at the
end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button is
grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you can see the INDEX field when Hidden text is displayed (you can see
the XE fields) and field codes are displayed (you can see other fields after
pressing Alt+F9), then the INDEX field is formatted as Hidden. Select the
field and go to Format | Font and clear the Hidden flag.

wrote in message
I've tried the advice on this list from 2005, to no
avail.

I indexed a 900+ page manuscript in Word 2003. The
embedded
coding
is
all
there, where it should be. But when I place my cursor at
the
end
of the
document, and hit INSERT REFS INDEX the "GO" button
is
grayed
out.
Any
suggestions?

Table of Contents - Inserting Index Windancer Microsoft Word Help 2 August 30th 07 09:53 PM
inserting more than one letter for alphabetic group in index headi simmarko Tables 3 April 1st 07 06:48 PM
inserting a index noname Page Layout 1 December 2nd 05 01:10 PM
Identical 2-level index tags yield different results in index. Hel Leslie in Montreal Microsoft Word Help 2 April 28th 05 07:12 PM
Concordance/Index File--Make Index Entries Case Insensitive erik_gregory Microsoft Word Help 1 February 11th 05 09:03 PM