Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ducklaker ducklaker is offline

Default Missing Records in Word Mail Merge

I am attempting to create a listing of exhibitors for a local Arts & Craft
show. Using Word 2003 I have created tables that I insert merge fields. The
data source is Excel 2003. At the end of the table row I insert next
record and then run the merge. However, when the merged document appears
some exhibitors are missing eventhough they are selected (box Checked) in the
data source.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ironically, I think it's the «Next Record» field that's messing you up. I
looked at one of the "directory" merges I've created using a table row, and
there is no «Next Record» field anywhere in the row. Apparently with this
sort of merge Word just knows to go to the next record on the next merge. By
inserting the field, you've probably caused it to skip every other record.

"ducklaker" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a listing of exhibitors for a local Arts & Craft
show. Using Word 2003 I have created tables that I insert merge fields.

The
data source is Excel 2003. At the end of the table row I insert next
record and then run the merge. However, when the merged document

appears
some exhibitors are missing eventhough they are selected (box Checked) in

the
data source.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ducklaker ducklaker is offline

I knew that it would be something simple. I appreciate your response, I made
the change and all records merged completely. Thanks, ducklaker

"ducklaker" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a listing of exhibitors for a local Arts & Craft
show. Using Word 2003 I have created tables that I insert merge fields.

The
data source is Excel 2003. At the end of the table row I insert next
record and then run the merge. However, when the merged document

appears
some exhibitors are missing eventhough they are selected (box Checked) in

the
data source.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, the necessity/placement of the «Next Record» field is one of the
greatest mysteries of mail merge to me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ironically, I think it's the «Next Record» field that's messing you up.

looked at one of the "directory" merges I've created using a table row,

and
there is no «Next Record» field anywhere in the row. Apparently with

this
sort of merge Word just knows to go to the next record on the next

merge. By
inserting the field, you've probably caused it to skip every other

record.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ducklaker" wrote in message
I am attempting to create a listing of exhibitors for a local Arts &

Craft
show. Using Word 2003 I have created tables that I insert merge

fields.
The
data source is Excel 2003. At the end of the table row I insert

next
record and then run the merge. However, when the merged document

appears
some exhibitors are missing eventhough they are selected (box Checked)

in
the
data source.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Suzanne,

FWIW, the necessity/placement of the «Next Record» field is one of the
greatest mysteries of mail merge to me.

Mostly, it's necessary when doing a Label merge, or any kind of merge
where you want to move to the next record before the page breaks, and you
don't want a catalog/directory merge. With a catalog/directory merge the
page's content is repeated for each record without forcing a page break.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org