Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Greg is offline

Default Editing Data source

I would like to use VBA to edit the data source. Is it possible.

To fully explain, I create a Text file from SQL data that my documents then
link to.

In my Text data file I have several empty fields (along with those
containing data) that I would like to add content to.

I would prefer to add the content using MS Words VBA instead of the Program
I use to create the Text file.

Opening a Mail-Merge Document there is an icon on the tool bar that allows
editing to the data source.

Is there anyway to access the function it uses?.

--
Gregory M. La Due
Twin Tiers Technologies, Inc.

(800) 480-6467

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would like to use VBA to edit the data source. Is it possible.
Opening a Mail-Merge Document there is an icon on the tool bar that allows
editing to the data source.

Is there anyway to access the function it uses?.

Not as far as I know - the best you can do is get Word to display its own
dialog box, i.e. Word does not provide you with any facilities in its object
model for modifying the data in a data source.

In any case, Word does not always let you edit a data source. it depends on
the version of Word and the type of data source. For example, sometimes Word
2000 asks you if you want to open MS Query to edit the source. In Word
2002/3, Word will not let you edit a .mdb unless it is in the format it
recognises as an "Office Address List", and so on.

If you happen to know what kind of data source you are dealing with, you
might for example be able to use Word VBA, Word Userforms, and ADO to
present the data and allow it to be edited. Or you might be able to use DDE
to fire up MS Query yourself and let the user edit data in there. But
Microsoft does not provide a single "abstraction" mechanism that lets you do
that kind of thing with no concern for the underlying data format. In my
experience, it's one of those problems that people in the I.T. like to
imagine was solved decades ago, but in reality is still an outstanding and
everyday problem.

Peter Jamieson

Editing data source cynthia Mailmerge 1 March 7th 06 12:13 PM
How do I create a read-only mail merge data source? Julie Mailmerge 3 November 16th 05 07:23 PM
DotNet Data Table as Mail Merge Data Source goraya Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 09:51 AM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
Cannot Find Its Data Source Dave Foote Mailmerge 3 December 17th 04 11:27 AM