Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BrianB

Default Page numbers display in preview but do not print

Word 2003 SP2 (same problem before install of SP2).
I cannot get page numbers to print properly. I am using a simple footer
with page number centered; same footer for the entire document. In Print
Preview all pages display the page numbers as they should be; when printing
the only page number that prints is on the page that has a hard page break
(CTRL-Enter).
I have found this problem with other documents but I figured I would start
with the least complicated footer.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QnJpYW5C?=,

Word 2003 SP2 (same problem before install of SP2).
I cannot get page numbers to print properly. I am using a simple footer
with page number centered; same footer for the entire document. In Print
Preview all pages display the page numbers as they should be; when printing
the only page number that prints is on the page that has a hard page break
(CTRL-Enter).
I have found this problem with other documents but I figured I would start
with the least complicated footer.

This is only the page number? Any text associated with it (such as Page of y,
where y is the total number of pages) prints?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BrianB

No other text to display.
I believe I have an answer though: it would appear that Word (possibly in
conjunction with the print driver) has decided NOT to print anything below
the 1" point on the page. If the text goes all the way to that point then it
will not print anything from the footer (I tried straight text). If the text
of the page stops before the 1" point (say 1.5") then the footer is printed
AT 1" (even if the footer is set to .5" or .75").
I concluded this after setting a page with a hard page break and setting up
a text footer of "1" (for page 1) and attempting to print on top of my
already printed page one text. The text stopped at 1" and the footer was set
to .75". The footer kept printing on top of the last line.....
Unfortunatlely, solution was to up the text margin to 1" and let the footer
print at 1". Fortunately, it was only a 9th grade Science paper; though in
the future the college prof may not approve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QnJpYW5C?=,

No other text to display.
I believe I have an answer though: it would appear that Word (possibly in
conjunction with the print driver) has decided NOT to print anything below
the 1" point on the page. If the text goes all the way to that point then it
will not print anything from the footer (I tried straight text). If the text
of the page stops before the 1" point (say 1.5") then the footer is printed
AT 1" (even if the footer is set to .5" or .75").

This is a known problem with some printers/printer drivers. Inkjets (HP
especially) are notorious for not supporting the margins the drivers allow in
Word. You might contact the manufacturer of your printer and see what they have
to say (probably "it's Word's fault").

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org