Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aaa2008 aaa2008 is offline

Default the sybmols

when I went to insert Symbols in word2003
I Go to insert then Symbols next the symbols not view as picture to see and
select
but the symbols view in word when I click to any one

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/missingmenusetc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"aaa2008" wrote in message
when I went to insert Symbols in word2003
I Go to insert then Symbols next the symbols not view as picture to see
and
select
but the symbols view in word when I click to any one

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It's certainly available in my version of Word 2007.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"aaa2008" wrote in message

when I went to insert Symbols in word2003
I Go to insert then Symbols next the symbols not view as picture to see
and
select
but the symbols view in word when I click to any one-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Special Characters tab appears in the Symbols dialog in my copy of Word
2007. Are you actually opening the dialog via More Symbols...? I get the
same result from the Insert Symbol button I've added to the QAT.

"aaa2008" wrote in message

when I went to insert Symbols in word2003
I Go to insert then Symbols next the symbols not view as picture to
see
and
select
but the symbols view in word when I click to any one--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's there -- but because it's usually open, I keep it way up top with
the unneeded stuff off the top of the screen.

But it's very strange that you can't get to it from the Ribbon, since
it's where the stuff they think people actually use is kept.

Now that I'm trying to make the 16 tables to go with the 92 sources in
my article, I'm finding out how much more tedious it is to do a table
in 2007. (1) _One_ thing that's needed in every new table, borders, is
on the "design" tab instead of the "layout" tab; but why should the
"design" tab stay there at all after the design has been assigned?
(Which I would never do from one of their built-ins anyway).

"aaa2008" wrote in message

when I went to insert Symbols in word2003
I Go to insert then Symbols next the symbols not view as picture to
see
and
select
but the symbols view in word when I click to any one---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

Insert=Symbols [down arrow]=More Symbols should bring up the dialog with the 'Special Characters' tab. That tab isn't one used as
often as you might think in a broad spectrum of Word users.

For tables, not everyone does the design first, it's often added, or changed, once the content is correct.

The 'Borders and Shading' dialog is also available in the right click menu when you're in the table.

============
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
It's there -- but because it's usually open, I keep it way up top with
the unneeded stuff off the top of the screen.

But it's very strange that you can't get to it from the Ribbon, since
it's where the stuff they think people actually use is kept.

Now that I'm trying to make the 16 tables to go with the 92 sources in
my article, I'm finding out how much more tedious it is to do a table
in 2007. (1) _One_ thing that's needed in every new table, borders, is
on the "design" tab instead of the "layout" tab; but why should the
"design" tab stay there at all after the design has been assigned?
(Which I would never do from one of their built-ins anyway).
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert=Symbols [down arrow]=More Symbols should bring up the dialog with
the 'Special Characters' tab. That tab isn't one used as
often as you might think in a broad spectrum of Word users.

I would agree. I have keyboard shortcuts assigned to em and en dashes and em
and en spaces and use Word's built-in shortcuts (or AutoCorrect) for the
rest. About the only time I ever even visit that tab is to check on
something for a user.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's there -- but because it's usually open, I keep it way up top with
the unneeded stuff off the top of the screen.

But it's very strange that you can't get to it from the Ribbon, since
it's where the stuff they think people actually use is kept.

Now that I'm trying to make the 16 tables to go with the 92 sources in
my article, I'm finding out how much more tedious it is to do a table
in 2007. (1) _One_ thing that's needed in every new table, borders, is
on the "design" tab instead of the "layout" tab; but why should the
"design" tab stay there at all after the design has been assigned?
(Which I would never do from one of their built-ins anyway).
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

_Someone_ felt that that particular selection of characters should be
separately accessible (without memorizing a bunch of very similar
keyboard shortcuts for the wide variety of hyphens and spaces any one
of which might occur quite rarely). Yet they didn't include such
frequently used items as section sign. (Or even euro.)

*"grammatim" wrote in message
It's there -- but because it's usually open, I keep it way up top with
the unneeded stuff off the top of the screen.

But it's very strange that you can't get to it from the Ribbon, since
it's where the stuff they think people actually use is kept.

Now that I'm trying to make the 16 tables to go with the 92 sources in
my article, I'm finding out how much more tedious it is to do a table
in 2007. (1) _One_ thing that's needed in every new table, borders, is
on the "design" tab instead of the "layout" tab; but why should the
"design" tab stay there at all after the design has been assigned?
(Which I would never do from one of their built-ins anyway). *
--

Bob *Buckland *?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

**Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

People who frequently use the section sign (legal secretaries) or euro
(Europeans) undoubtedly have assigned keyboard shortcuts that they can
easily remember, or there may even be key assignments (I believe the euro is
on the keyboard in some configurations). And keep in mind that the Symbol
dialog, in its origins, long antedates the euro and its symbol.

"grammatim" wrote in message
It's there -- but because it's usually open, I keep it way up top with
the unneeded stuff off the top of the screen.

But it's very strange that you can't get to it from the Ribbon, since
it's where the stuff they think people actually use is kept.

Now that I'm trying to make the 16 tables to go with the 92 sources in
my article, I'm finding out how much more tedious it is to do a table
in 2007. (1) _One_ thing that's needed in every new table, borders, is
on the "design" tab instead of the "layout" tab; but why should the
"design" tab stay there at all after the design has been assigned?
(Which I would never do from one of their built-ins anyway).
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

As mentioned, when you look at a broad base of Word users, items such as a section symbol are likely not in widespread use by that
many individual users (sales of Microsoft Office since it's release are over 120 million copies g) and often when something 'new'
is added to an Office app it sometimes never gets improved; or gets one 'facelift', or goes away Sometimes it may be because the
folks who worked on it or promoted it have moved on, in others because it wasn't cost effective to try to fix it for the amount of
estimated users employing it

If for the Special Characters dialog, you add a Shortcut key for the Section symbol [it's a nice feature of that dialog that you can
add a shortcut key with the click of a button in the dialog], the shortcut will appear in the list in the Special Characters dialog.
A number of the 'default' ones that are there are those that have a default entry in the Autocorrect list or an Autoformat function.

While not having the Euro Sign in the legacy Special characters dialog might seem like an obvious oversight, for folks using a U.S.
keyboard needing a ctrl key sequence to insert a quote character might also seem strange The Euro sign is in the default list of
symbols that come up from the Ribbon.

I don't recall offhand what version added the 'special characters' dialog tab as a new feature. At the time the Euro sign hadn't
been created and so the symbol wasn't in the fonts provided with Office then. It was added as a download capability originally then
with newer versions in the fonts.