Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AA2e72E AA2e72E is offline

Default AutoCorrect

I find that AutoCorrect does not work on text that is pasted, on text that is
inserted, on text existing before the AutoCorrect is defned, or while the
macro recorder is on.

Is there a way of applying an AutoCorrect to the whole of the active document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Unfortunately, no. AutoCorrect is triggered by *typing* a space or
punctuation, and it checks only the word(s) to the immediate left of the
cursor..

About the closest you can get is to click at the end of a word that you know
is an AutoCorrect entry, type a space, and then backspace. But this is a
one-at-a-time method only.

Although you can't record a macro of applying an AutoCorrect, it would be
possible to write a macro. Look in the VBA help for the topic on the
AutoCorrectEntry object and its .Apply method. However, since you have to
know which words in the document are AutoCorrect trigger values, you might
as well write the macro to use find/replace instead; it would run much more
quickly.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

AA2e72E wrote:
I find that AutoCorrect does not work on text that is pasted, on text
that is inserted, on text existing before the AutoCorrect is defned,
or while the macro recorder is on.

Is there a way of applying an AutoCorrect to the whole of the active
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

AutoCorrect is specifically designed to work on an "as-you-type" basis. That
pretty much precludes any of the actions you listed except typing while
recording a macro. In that case the AutoCorrect feature is internally
disabled. Whether there is some means through VBA I don't know, but tend to
doubt it... at least for most of your points if not all.

Spell Check & good ol' proof-reading are far more reliable.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"AA2e72E" wrote in message
I find that AutoCorrect does not work on text that is pasted, on text that
is
inserted, on text existing before the AutoCorrect is defned, or while the
macro recorder is on.

Is there a way of applying an AutoCorrect to the whole of the active
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AA2e72E AA2e72E is offline

Thank you for confirming the workings of AutoCorrect. The background is this:

I have a mail merge document in which some fields have recurring values and
Word cannot cope with them. I changed the recurring values, concatenating the
items using caret (^), defined an AutoCorrect entry to change ^ to line feed.
It does not work except when I type ^. I am loathe to write a macro because
I'd like users to use whatever template they choose and the macro may not be
present in their particular template. Must find another solution!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

What about Find & Replace? - Click the More button, then click the Special
button;

Find what: ^^ [Note: You need 2 carets because the caret is a
'special character']
Replace with: ^p -or- ^|

Or am I not clear on what you are asking?
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones