Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LStewart LStewart is offline

Default how do you turn off paragraph sign?

I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up along with
arrows, etc. How do I turn it off???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi,

You may have accidentally hit Ctrl+Shift+8, which toggles the appearance of
these symbols. This could happen when you meant to press Shift+8 to type an
asterisk. Just press Ctrl+Shift+8 again.
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"LStewart" wrote:

I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up along with
arrows, etc. How do I turn it off???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But you'll find you can work much more effectively if you go into your
Options and turn on "Display Paragraph Marks" and probably "Display
Tab Marks" permanently. (Those settings aren't overridden by Ctrl-
Shift-8.)

"LStewart" wrote:
I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up along with
arrows, etc. *How do I turn it off???-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, the ShowAll command only toggles the options not explicitly selected
in the Options dialog box (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm).

FWIW, I keep all of the nonprinting marks displayed at all times when
working in Word. I'm so used to them that I don't see them unless I need
them, but I do miss them if I'm working with a Word installation where they
aren't displayed when I start Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LStewart" wrote:
I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up along
with
arrows, etc. How do I turn it off???-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But having field codes (and hidden text, not that I have much use for
it) always showing is counterproductive if you're trying to make
decent-looking pages. It would be nice to have a toggle that
conveniently turned on/off only all the things I want on, not all the
possibilites entirely. (No room left on the QAT for the individual
items, and anyway since they're not on the Ribbon they presumably take
up extra space with their names.)

"LStewart" wrote:
I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up along
with
arrows, etc. How do I turn it off???--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I do make an exception for field codes, which I keep hidden unless I
want to view and/or edit them, but I have pretty much everything else
displayed, including hidden text. I suppose this is entirely a matter of
being in control: I like to see what is on the page, even things that don't
print.

Note that you can record a macro and then edit it so that it that toggles
the display of exactly those nonprinting marks that you want.

--

"LStewart" wrote:
I hit some key accidentally & all these paragraph symbols came up
along
with
arrows, etc. How do I turn it off???--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Same here. I will sometimes hide nonprinting characters when proofreading
(turning them back on to check on suspected extra spaces), but I *have* to
have text boundaries displayed. I just feel completely at sea when dealing
with a totally blank page!

http://word.mvps.org