Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Styles in table inherit indent from Normal, incorrectly

My normal text is indented, but style intended for table cells have no indent.
The table styles are *not* based on Normal, but they keep getting the Normal
indent. Then I override the indent, but the style is now one of those
annoying qualified styles. Any idea why the table picks this up?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Since virtually all styles in Word are based on Normal, they will inherit
its formatting (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sCascade.html). This is why
it is preferable to leave Normal alone (except for certain very basic
modifications, such as base font) and instead use another style, such as
Body Text, for body text (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...odyStyles.htm).

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" u3143@uwe wrote in message
My normal text is indented, but style intended for table cells have no

indent.
The table styles are *not* based on Normal, but they keep getting the

Normal
indent. Then I override the indent, but the style is now one of those
annoying qualified styles. Any idea why the table picks this up?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also note the special relationship between font formatting in table cells
and the Normal style. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html. The fix is to apply
paragraph styles (other than Normal) to the contents of the table cells.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Since virtually all styles in Word are based on Normal, they will inherit
its formatting (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sCascade.html). This is why
it is preferable to leave Normal alone (except for certain very basic
modifications, such as base font) and instead use another style, such as
Body Text, for body text (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...odyStyles.htm).

so
all may benefit.

My normal text is indented, but style intended for table cells have no

indent.
The table styles are *not* based on Normal, but they keep getting the

Normal
indent. Then I override the indent, but the style is now one of those
annoying qualified styles. Any idea why the table picks this up?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also note the special relationship between font formatting in table cells
and the Normal style.

Correction: *table styles* (not table cells).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

My normal text is indented, but style intended for table cells have no

indent.
The table styles are *not* based on Normal, but they keep getting the

Normal
indent. Then I override the indent, but the style is now one of those
annoying qualified styles. Any idea why the table picks this up?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

I got better control over the table styles, and followed your suggestion. But
there are still hidden dependencies that I can't untangle:

- In the column that has only the step number, I use a style called "Step
Number" (surprise). In the next column I use Table Text. Then in a completely
separate table, the Table Text paragraphs became numbered. This is a style
that happens to be in another table, in another column, and it somehow
inherited the numbering. So I saved the text and reconstructed that table.

- My Step Number style insists on having a tab after it. I've followed every
lead I can find to omit this, and it's always there. The tab prevents the
number from being centered-- not too serious, but I don't like to settle for
something I didn't intend.

Thanks for the responses.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Also note the special relationship between font formatting in table cells
and the Normal style. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html. The fix is to apply
paragraph styles (other than Normal) to the contents of the table cells.

Since virtually all styles in Word are based on Normal, they will inherit
its formatting (see

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
indent. Then I override the indent, but the style is now one of those
annoying qualified styles. Any idea why the table picks this up?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The only way to get the option to remove the tab following a number is to
use an outline-numbered list. You can then choose to follow the number with
a tab, a space, or nothing.