Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Durand Durand is offline

Default Challenge - How do I make a bullet style where the first word isbold?

Hello,

I'm creating various styles in Word for a long document. One of the
styles I want is a bullet point where the first word is bold, but the
rest of the bullet point isn't. The separator between the bold and non-
bold part of the sentence is a colon or dash. If this works, I'll be
able to have a Heading called "Advantages", and then a whole lot of
bullet points that summarise each advantage in a sentence, but with a
one-word summary at the start of the sentence that the reader can skim
over.

Ordinarily, you'd think this would be impossible to do, as the
formatting is stored in the Enter symbol at the end of the sentence,
and you shouldn't be able to store two character formats in the one
Enter symbol. But if you go into a new paragraph in Word (I'm using
2003), select a bullet point using the icon on the formatting toolbar,
manually make the first word bold, and then deselect bold after the
colon, then when you hit Enter, the next bullet point follows the same
format. Therefore, this must be a format that Word can understand. The
question is, how does one make it into a style called List1?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is a setting in AutoFormat As You Type to "Format beginning of list
item like the one before it," but I don't believe there's any way to
incorporate this in a style. If the bold part were always the same, you
could use the word as your "bullet" and format it as bold, but that doesn't
seem to be the case, judging from your description. Most people just apply
the bold manually.

"Durand" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Durand

Durand wrote:
[..]
Ordinarily, you'd think this would be impossible to do, as the
formatting is stored in the Enter symbol at the end of the sentence,
and you shouldn't be able to store two character formats in the one
Enter symbol. But if you go into a new paragraph in Word (I'm using
2003), select a bullet point using the icon on the formatting toolbar,
manually make the first word bold, and then deselect bold after the
colon, then when you hit Enter, the next bullet point follows the same
format. Therefore, this must be a format that Word can understand. The
question is, how does one make it into a style called List1?

what you want to take a look at is a style separator (introduced in Word
2002 or 2003). If you want a solution that works at least back to Word
97, you can also hide the paragraph mark after the bold part. So, in
essence, you need a bulleted style and try out if you can follow it with
your ordinary body text style.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

using bullet changes style from Normal to TOC 1 Random Microsoft Word Help 3 August 2nd 07 04:52 AM
Word 07 Challenge - Line Creep Howard Cross New Users 5 June 28th 07 07:25 PM
Bullet style Kevin Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 07 05:51 PM
A real challenge For Word Gurus... Raffi Bearmant Formatting Long Documents 1 September 28th 06 02:45 PM
how do I make a checklist has dots between the challenge and respo v1rotate Microsoft Word Help 2 April 13th 06 10:01 PM