Blaise

Default Corrupt styles, freaky headings, voodoo, or gremlins?

This is rather strange and I hardly know how to describe it. I'm not even
sure if it's a problem with Word, my document, or the hardware.

Word 97. I haven't had a chance to edit this file in Word 2003 since the
problem started, but that's on my "to test" list.

I have Style headings in the form: A.3.0, A.3.1, A.3.1.1, A.3.1.2, etc.).
The headings are working fine.

Problem: The heading numbers regularly change from A.3.1.1 to A.1.1.1 -- at
least on-screen. This doesn't seem to affect the actual value stored in the
document because if I close and re-open the file, the correct (i.e., A.3.1.1)
heading number appears.

However, I haven't been able to check the Style to see what may be causing
the problem. When I attempt to "modify" the "numbering" feature of the Style,
Word locks up and exits.

I've run a virus check on my system and sent the file to myself in email
because my ISP virus checks attachments.

I've done a Select All/copy to a totally new document. Same problem.

I've copied the file to a USB memory stick and modified it to see if it
might be a hard drive going bad. Same problem.

I thought it might be corruption in the Style itself -- although I don't
know where Styles are stored or how to disassociate a built-in Style from a
document. So I don't know how to test for or fix that.

As a side note, every once in awhile, the display of the Style in the
dropdown menu is wrong. I.e., the fonts or sizes are wrong. But if I apply
the heading Style, the correct fonts and sizes are applied.

I've run out of ideas, although I may look up a spiritual advisor, voodoo
priestess or exorcist next.

Any suggestions, instructions or magic chants are welcome.
Anne Troy

Sounds like your document is on its way to being corrupt. Here's the chants:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/a...of t_word.htm
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...d_document.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Blaise" wrote in message
[...]

Blaise

Anne,

Thanks for the pointer to those articles. I'm going to try them out and will
report back what, if anything, works.

Blaise

Styles Growing Deb Page Layout 12 April 5th 06 10:56 PM
Corrupt file, stupid user, gremlins, or voodoo? Blaise Microsoft Word Help 0 August 31st 05 11:11 PM
Corrupt Styles SoftwareWriter Microsoft Word Help 5 August 1st 05 09:07 PM
What does "All styles" mean? Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft Word Help 8 March 22nd 05 05:12 AM
Table styles mysteriously disappear jstammer Tables 8 February 17th 05 03:44 AM