Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

Default Keeping (HTML) tables together.

I have an application which exports its data in HTML, in multiple
sections, each containing a header, then a table. If necessary, the
header and table could be contained in a simple container table, so each
section is in one table.

Will WORD try to keep these tables from splitting at page boundaries
when the document is printed? Is there anything extra that I could add
to the exported HTML to prevent the tables from splitting?

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hello Swifty

Swifty wrote:
I have an application which exports its data in HTML, in multiple
sections, each containing a header, then a table. If necessary, the
header and table could be contained in a simple container table, so each
section is in one table.

just to make sure up front: you are aware of the differences between
Header and Heading in Word, and that "Section" has a very particular
meaning in this application, right?

Will WORD try to keep these tables from splitting at page boundaries
when the document is printed? Is there anything extra that I could add
to the exported HTML to prevent the tables from splitting?

If you have really Word sections here, then you can tell each section to
automatically start on a new page. Then, if any table is longer than a
page, Word naturally has to split it. But if you can guarantee that
tables are shorter, that'd be the ideal solution.

BTW, if you have headings and not headers here, you don't really need
sections at all only for this task. You can simply assign a special
paragraph property to your heading style that forces a "Page break before."

In your boots, I'd setup a short Word document in the way you want it
and save it to (filtered) HTML. Then look at what Word does with
sections and/or "Page break before" properties.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
In your boots, I'd setup a short Word document in the way you want it
and save it to (filtered) HTML. Then look at what Word does with
sections and/or "Page break before" properties.

Thanks, I'll try this.