Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vicki in SantaBarbara

Default need to know how to keep my directory at the last spot I opened

When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a subdirectory and then
when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has reverted back to
original directory window instead of staying at the one I was last using...
is there a setting to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible to account
for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a subdirectory
and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has
reverted back to original directory window instead of staying at the
one I was last using... is there a setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vicki in SantaBarbara

Default need to know how to keep my directory at the last spot I opene

Sorry.. that did not answer my question. How do you inappropriately press
the F4 key????? What I am saying is that it is not acting appropriately by
saving my last action.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible to account
for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a subdirectory
and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has
reverted back to original directory window instead of staying at the
one I was last using... is there a setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think what Graham was saying is that F4 is not (by default) a shortcut for
opening a file or folder in Word. It is the shortcut for repeating the last
action (which usually doesn't include opening files).

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible to

account
for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a subdirectory
and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has
reverted back to original directory window instead of staying at the
one I was last using... is there a setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vicki in SantaBarbara

Okay...hmmm.... okay... every computer i have ever worked on when I press F4
it opens a window that shows my directories, and usually whatever directory I
opened a file in stays there if I press F4 again. Am I not making my
question clear? If you press F4 does it not open your directory of files? I
am very confused.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible to

account
for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a subdirectory
and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has
reverted back to original directory window instead of staying at the
one I was last using... is there a setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

No. On my computer it repeats the last action that was taken.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think what Graham was saying is that F4 is not (by default) a shortcut
for
opening a file or folder in Word. It is the shortcut for repeating the
last
action (which usually doesn't include opening files).

so
all may benefit.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible to

account
for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a
subdirectory
and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few minutes, it has
reverted back to original directory window instead of staying at
the
one I was last using... is there a setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If F4 did this, then it had nothing to do with Word (or Windows) but the
programming of some third party. See Word help under keyboard shortcuts -
and from that see the following extract:

F1 Get Help or visit Microsoft Office Online.
F2 Move text or graphics.
F3 Insert an AutoText entry (after Microsoft Word displays the entry).
F4 Repeat the last action.
F5 Choose the Go To command (Edit menu).
F6 Go to the next pane or frame.
F7 Choose the Spelling command (Tools menu).
F8 Extend a selection.
F9 Update selected fields.
F10 Activate the menu bar.
F11 Go to the next field.
F12 Choose the Save As command (File menu).
If these are company owned computers, take it up with your IT department,
who presumably made the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think what Graham was saying is that F4 is not (by default) a
shortcut for opening a file or folder in Word. It is the shortcut
for repeating the last action (which usually doesn't include opening
files).

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

F4 by default is set to repeat the last action. It is impossible
to account for what happens if you use it inappropriately.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
When pushing F4 in Word to open a directory, I choose a
subdirectory and then when I come back and hit F4 again in a few
minutes, it has reverted back to original directory window
instead of staying at the one I was last using... is there a
setting to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Vicki,

I think some of the confusion here may be that folks may have been assuming that you are inside of a Word document. From your
description, I'm guessing that you're in File=Open from Word. In that context the F4 key will open a dropdown list (either the the
Filename or the 'Look In') one depending on where you've clicked.

When you do that, the file/folder name that is 'highlighted' after pressing F4 is the one in line with the tip of the mouse pointer
arrow in the File=Open Window when F4 was pressed.

For example if you click near the top of the File=Open list and use F4 you may see the first file in the list highlighted. If you
have the mouse pointer down lower in the dialog and use F4 the cursor will probably highlight a file in the last laterally equal to
where the mouse was 'pointing' in File=Open.

For setting a default starting point to land on in File=Open you can use the settings in Tools=Options=File Locations.
==========
"vicki in SantaBarbara" wrote in message
Okay...hmmm.... okay... every computer i have ever worked on when I press F4
it opens a window that shows my directories, and usually whatever directory I
opened a file in stays there if I press F4 again. Am I not making my
question clear? If you press F4 does it not open your directory of files? I
am very confused.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland in Ventura county ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx