Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Accessing the MS Outlook "mystery field" from Word 2003 mail merge....

That example would not have worked as it does not reflect the fieldnames
from Outlook or even use a mergefield for the ZIP code. The code I
originally posted should work, but only if you use CTRL+F9 for both pairs of
field brackets {}

To add the \u switch

{BARCODE { Mergefield Zip} \b \u}

John Nasta wrote:
Thanks Graham,

I have since heard in another group as well that the USPS no longer
accepts the barcodes that Word generates. I'm just going to forget
about using them and assume that there is no reason why the postal
service should not be able to scan my cleanly printed labels &
envelopes.

I did try putting some code in my merge document and the result was
that it just printed the code. I used one of the examples from this
page:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH061047251033

I used { BARCODE ENV_ZIPCODE1 \b \u }

Anyway, I don't plan to pursue it any further.

Thanks,
John Nasta

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The barcode produced by Word is POSTNET.

The USPS no longer accepts that format for bulk mail discounts -- see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290. You might as well not use the
barcode feature at all.

However as the barcode is merely a field deriving bar code data from
the zip code data, there is no reason why you cannot build a field
in your merge document whatever your data source. We don't use
barcodes where I live, but something of the order of
{BARCODE { Mergefield Zip} \b}
is probably all that is required.

Merging from Outlook gives you access to all the fields in your data,
provides the filtering power of Outlook and any editing of the data
should be done through Outlook.