Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steevo999 Steevo999 is offline

Default Default formatting after carriage return?

When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word carries
over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage return
(soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with the default
document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a reference
to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Each paragraph has a style attribute which includes the name of the style
that should follow it (when you press Enter). Usually this is set to the
same style (though with heading styles it is often the main body text). The
behaviour therefore is dictated by the style at the cursor.

You can additionally press SHIFT+Enter which will create a line break WITHIN
the same paragraph.

Steevo999 wrote:
When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word
carries over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage
return (soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with
the default document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a
reference to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steevo999 Steevo999 is offline

Thanks for your quick response, Graham.

However this does not achieve the effect I am after.

If I am typing in bold etc. etc. at the end of a line and then hit Carriage
Return then the same formatting continues on the new line until manually
deselected. A little tedious sometimes.

I thought there was a way of hitting Carriage Return with some other key
combination that prevented this and reverted the new paragraph to the default
page formatting...

Steevo999 wrote:
When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word
carries over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage
return (soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with
the default document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a
reference to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+Spacebar removes all direct font formatting. In earlier versions of
Word, pressing Enter did end direct font formatting; in current versions, it
doesn't, and many users find this unsatisfactory.

http://word.mvps.org

Steevo999 wrote:
When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word
carries over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage
return (soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with
the default document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a
reference to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are using manual formatting CTRL+Space will restore the underlying
paragraph style. You may also have a keyboard shortcut assigned to the
normal style.

Steevo999 wrote:
When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word
carries over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage
return (soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with
the default document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a
reference to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steevo999 Steevo999 is offline

At last!

I have been searching for this for ages. It must be about the only key
combo I have not tried, because it does not involve the Carriage Return key!

THANK YOU.

Steve, (Farnborough, England).