Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Still-Learning Still-Learning is offline

Default FORMS: Selecting check box locks text fields

Here's the problem. I created a Word 2007 document template with check
boxes, text fields, and drop-down boxes. Once the document is protected I
get the following results:

1. At the beginning of the doc., text fields can be filled out fine.
2. About 5 check boxes clustered together can be selected/deselected with no
effect on the doc.
3. Further into the doc., a number of check boxes exist that, once you have
clicked on them, have the effect of locking the rest of the text fields
against editing.

The properties of the check boxes that work fine and the check boxes that
lock the text fields down are exactly the same, except under Field Settings
in the Properties dialog box:

- The check boxes that work have an entry under the Bookmark field (check1,
check2, etc.).
- The check boxes that act funny have no entry in the Bookmark field.

Because a number of lines in my form table were exactly similar, I used cut
& paste to copy them several times over. This is the only difference in the
way I created the check boxes between the first and second instances. It
seems as though the C&P action stripped the Bookmark information out of the
check box, rendering it a bit wonky.

The fix is to insert each check box individually, and not C&P the table
fields, but is there any reason for this that anyone can fathom?

Maybe this experience'll prevent someone else from tearing their hair out.