lm2942

Default AutoCorrect entries not available to all Word documents

I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long as I am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I type the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

AutoCorrect entries are stored in .acl files by language. They are available
in all Office documents (in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) formatted with the
corresponding language. Formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in
Normal.dot and are available to all Word documents.

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long as I

am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I type the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wayUpNorth

I've added some entries to my AutoCorrect list that require the "formatted
text" option in the "With" field because they require characters from a
special font I've created. These entries appear at the end of the
"AutoCorrect Backup Document" with the RTF flag set to "True, however if I
close Word and re-open it, those entries are gone. When I try to restore it,
those entries with formatted text copy back into the template, but they
disappear as soon as Word is closed and re-started.

Then I tried moving it to another computer using the backup/restore macro in
the support.dot template. There, the formatted entries persist but the
unformatted ones are lost. Next I moved it to a Mac, surprise the restore
macro worked and both formatted and unformatted entries persisted in Word
2004.

The font is for aboriginal languages in northern Canada that are too small
to receive support from Microsoft the fonts are used widely by government
and education. The autocorrect entries I'm trying to add are aboriginal
place names which have become official. Some require only a grave accent so
Ive put them in as unformatted because the grave vowels exist in most fonts.
Other place names require special characters not included in standard fonts
so those are formatted. I want to use AutoCorrect so users dont have to
install the entire keyboard for the aboriginal font just to type the
occasional place name. They can just type the place names in standard
English and AutoCorrect will change it to the official spelling complete with
special characters.

How can I get the autocorrect list to apply consistently and reliably? The
fonts are already installed on the various systems. Ive tried adding the
place names to the dictionary; Ive tired highlighting them and setting them
as English language. It still puzzles me. This needs to be implemented
across an entire department with Word 2003 & Word 2004 running on XP Proand
OSX.

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long as I

am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I type the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As previously stated, formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in
Normal.dot. I don't know of any good way to transfer them to any other
template or computer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

AutoCorrect entries are stored in .acl files by language. They are

available
in all Office documents (in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) formatted with

the
corresponding language. Formatted AutoCorrect entries are stored in
Normal.dot and are available to all Word documents.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long as

am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I type

the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation

works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are

always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

For WinWord, I think there is an alternate macro. I've not experimented
with this at all, but it might be worth trying. MS appears to have updated
their macro since the MVPs wrote one to supplement the official
deficiencies, so this may not help.

To save and exchange AutoCorrect across computers or re-installations:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm

Thanks for the info re this working on MacWord. Greatly appreciated!

If it still doesn't work, you might experiment with creating some custom
AutoText toolbars as an alternate method.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wayUpNorth

I've found the answer to my first problem, thanks to Daiya, Suzanne, and
other's previous answers to other questions. My Normal template is not
saving changes when I quit word. Now I know why formatted autocorrect
entries didn't persist on my main computer. Now to find out why...

I may not bother with the backup/restore macro - easier to teach people how
to add the half-dozen aboriginal place names to autoCorrect manually from a
formatted file I'll give them.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

For WinWord, I think there is an alternate macro. I've not experimented
with this at all, but it might be worth trying. MS appears to have updated
their macro since the MVPs wrote one to supplement the official
deficiencies, so this may not help.

To save and exchange AutoCorrect across computers or re-installations:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm

Thanks for the info re this working on MacWord. Greatly appreciated!

If it still doesn't work, you might experiment with creating some custom
AutoText toolbars as an alternate method.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

On 12/3/05 1:31 PM, "wayUpNorth" wrote:

I've added some entries to my AutoCorrect list that require the "formatted
text" option in the "With" field because they require characters from a
special font I've created. These entries appear at the end of the
"AutoCorrect Backup Document" with the RTF flag set to "True², however if I
close Word and re-open it, those entries are gone. When I try to restore it,
those entries with formatted text copy back into the template, but they
disappear as soon as Word is closed and re-started.

Then I tried moving it to another computer using the backup/restore macro in
the ³support.dot² template. There, the formatted entries persist but the
unformatted ones are lost. Next I moved it to a Mac, surprise the restore
macro worked and both formatted and unformatted entries persisted in Word
2004.

The font is for aboriginal languages in northern Canada that are too small
to receive support from Microsoft * the fonts are used widely by government
and education. The autocorrect entries I'm trying to add are aboriginal
place names which have become official. Some require only a grave accent so
I¹ve put them in as unformatted because the grave vowels exist in most fonts.
Other place names require special characters not included in standard fonts
so those are formatted. I want to use AutoCorrect so users don¹t have to
install the entire keyboard for the aboriginal font just to type the
occasional place name. They can just type the place names in standard
English and AutoCorrect will change it to the official spelling complete with
special characters.

How can I get the autocorrect list to apply consistently and reliably? The
fonts are already installed on the various systems. I¹ve tried adding the
place names to the dictionary; I¹ve tired highlighting them and setting them

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long as I
am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I type the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have Acrobat 7 installed, it's the culprit. See the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as long

as I
am
still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when I

type the
abbreviation. I go to add it again and the abbreviation is already

in
AutoCorrect. I go back to the document, and then the abbreviation

works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they are

always
accessible no matter what document I am in?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wayUpNorth

Yes, I checked the link and his answers to several posts I do have Acrobat 7.
I thought A-ha that's it, but it doesn't fix my problem. "SHIFT+File then
Save All" doesn't update my normal template - and I know it's the running
normal template because I see the ~$normal.dot temp file there while word is
open.
PDFMaker.dot is not in my selected word startup folder. Searching system
and hidden files on my HD can't find pdfmaker.dot either. I installed Adobe
CS2 - did they change anything in Acrobat 7? My PDFMaker 7 toolbar in Word
2003 stays off, (or on - whatever I set it) between sessions even without
changing the normal template.

I'm running Spybot S&D teatimer - could that be messing me up? I've
installed Office 2003 SP1, but not SP2, although Win XP is SP2 - I'm groping
in the dark a bit...

"lm2942" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You have not read http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm
very closely if you are looking for PDFMaker.dot with Acrobat 7. This
version does not use a template add-in, but a COM add-in. If that add-in is
present, it inhibits the ability to save changes to normal.dot.

Acrobat 7 is not unique in this behaviour. Other add-ins can also cause
similar problems. Check what add-ins you have running
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm and
temporarily remove them.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as
long as I am still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when
I type the abbreviation. I go to add it again and the
abbreviation is already in AutoCorrect. I go back to the
document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they
are always accessible no matter what document I am in?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wayUpNorth

Thanks for the clarification Graham - I'll check those links. I've got
shift+file|saveAll working - kind of. I'm getting off the original topic for
this thread though, so maybe I'll start a new one when I have more details.

My dial-up connection is the pits and I've been all evening trying to get
back in. You guys and gals on this forum are really helpful - and quick to
reply. Thanks so much.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

RTF flag set to "True², however if I close Word and re-open it,
those entries are gone. When I try to restore it, those entries
with formatted text copy back into the template, but they
disappear as soon as Word is closed and re-started.

Then I tried moving it to another computer using the
backup/restore macro in the ³support.dot² template. There, the
formatted entries persist but the unformatted ones are lost.
Next I moved it to a Mac, surprise the restore macro worked and
both formatted and unformatted entries persisted in Word 2004.

The font is for aboriginal languages in northern Canada that are
too small to receive support from Microsoft * the fonts are used
widely by government and education. The autocorrect entries I'm
trying to add are aboriginal place names which have become
official. Some require only a grave accent so I¹ve put them in
as unformatted because the grave vowels exist in most fonts.
Other place names require special characters not included in
standard fonts so those are formatted. I want to use AutoCorrect
so users don¹t have to install the entire keyboard for the

"lm2942" wrote in message
I have used AutoCorrect for years and not had this problem.

I have added abbreviations to AutoCorrect and it works fine as
long as I am still in that document.

If I start another document, then the text is not replaced when
I type the abbreviation. I go to add it again and the
abbreviation is already in AutoCorrect. I go back to the
document, and then the abbreviation works.

Are the AutoCorrect entries not all stored in one place so they
are always accessible no matter what document I am in?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you are using dial-up, you would be better accessing the server directly,
so you can work off line - http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Acrobat 7 installed, it's the culprit. See the last
section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"wayUpNorth" wrote in