Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default I need to know the strengths and weakness of MS Word for a paper

I need to know three strenghts and weakness of MS word for a paper in a class
I am taking. Than I am suppose to articulate five solid ways in how I can
use word processing software-MS word in my daily instruction
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Best way to find out is to use it.. doubtful that you would be able to
expand much on a list of 'for and against'..

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

" wrote in
message ...
I need to know three strenghts and weakness of MS word for a paper in a
class
I am taking. Than I am suppose to articulate five solid ways in how I can
use word processing software-MS word in my daily instruction

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default I need to know the strengths and weakness of MS Word for a pap

Thanks. I am taking an educational Tech class and we are to evaluate
throughly the software of MS Word. Then we are to idenify and explain at
least three strenghts and weakness of the software. Than articulate five
soild way in how you might use wordprocessing Ms Word in daily instruction.
I have no Idea.

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:

Best way to find out is to use it.. doubtful that you would be able to
expand much on a list of 'for and against'..

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

" wrote in
message ...
I need to know three strenghts and weakness of MS word for a paper in a
class
I am taking. Than I am suppose to articulate five solid ways in how I can
use word processing software-MS word in my daily instruction

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

The point Mike was trying to make was that you won't learn anything if we
tell you the answers to your homework. I doubt that your instructor assigned
this task so that you could post it in an MS newsgroup and pop those
program and "evaluate throughly the software of MS Word".

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Evaluating thoroughly?.. from a list given in here?.. Methinks that you are
missing the whole point of the exercise..

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Agreed entirely. I would just add that Word is hugely complex and an
absolute dream (I speak as one who has used manual typewriters); it can
do most things. In my opinion the weaknesses are human ones, in
particular relying too much on the spell/grammar check (which sometimes
makes ludicrous grammatical suggestions) and also the tendency seen
often on here to avoid any suggestion of applying compositional skills
by asking others for "templates" (ie what to say and how to say it) for
every darned thing.

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I like you! :-)

Template requests frustrate me the most because it says "I'm too lazy to
start from scratch, modify an existing template, or search for something
else and modify that."

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Evaluating thoroughly?.. from a list given in here?
Amen to that! I've been using Word almost every day for the last 8 years to
write reports and such. I've even gotten into writing macros. And I am
_still_ finding out new strengths and weaknesses. There is _no_ list that
will give you what you can get from actually *using* the program!

(What about the horrible scenario of you listing Word's captioning and
cross-referencing as a strength, and then the instructor sets you down on
your final and makes you _do it_?!!? If you're going to cheat, it *will*
catch you!)

Ed

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

The point Mike was trying to make was that you won't learn anything if we
tell you the answers to your homework. I doubt that your instructor assigned
this task so that you could post it in an MS newsgroup and pop those
program and "evaluate throughly the software of MS Word".

I think it's part of the always-plugged-in-generation, what is being
called Generation M, for "multi-tasking."

Cell phone, text messaging, IM program, web search... all incredibly
efficient ways of gathering information.

The problem to my mind is that the gathering is being substituted for
critical analysis--when you can just ask any question at any time to
anybody and receive an answer, IMMEDIATELY, you cease stopping and
actually thinking whatever problem through for yourself because it takes
too much time.

B/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

It seems as if today's youth don't want to think. If there's no template to
start with or no ready-made list of features, they are lost. What's to
become of their children if there's no one left to create new templates or
lists?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

The point Mike was trying to make was that you won't learn anything if we
tell you the answers to your homework. I doubt that your instructor
assigned this task so that you could post it in an MS newsgroup and pop
those responses into a paper. I suspect he/she wants you to actually use
the program and "evaluate throughly the software of MS Word".

I think it's part of the always-plugged-in-generation, what is being
called Generation M, for "multi-tasking."

Cell phone, text messaging, IM program, web search... all incredibly
efficient ways of gathering information.

The problem to my mind is that the gathering is being substituted for
critical analysis--when you can just ask any question at any time to
anybody and receive an answer, IMMEDIATELY, you cease stopping and
actually thinking whatever problem through for yourself because it takes
too much time.

B/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Woo hoo!!!

The day you ask for any template, I'm tossing my computer out of the window.
I figure if *you* can't do something without a template, I don't stand an
ice cube's chance in hell at being able to do it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The day I need a template for a grocery list, I'm handing in my mom card.

so
all may benefit.

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman

My point is not that they don't *want* to think, but that they don't
think they have to. They're not lazy, though. They just don't
understand why they should take the *time* to think.

Thinking takes time. Time they could have multi-tasked 7-8-9 different
things. There's always someone to ask for the answer. Someone has
already thought, why not just access The Stream (borrowing from an Outer
Limits episode)? It's not that they want someone else to do their
homework for them, this *is* their version of doing their homework.

B/

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

It seems as if today's youth don't want to think. If there's no template to
start with or no ready-made list of features, they are lost. What's to
become of their children if there's no one left to create new templates or
lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

What really scares me is that your comments make sense.That means I must
have missed my meds.

--

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

It seems as if today's youth don't want to think. If there's no template
to start with or no ready-made list of features, they are lost. What's to
become of their children if there's no one left to create new templates
or lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, I'm not very creative and definitely not a designer, so I find it
helpful to find *examples* to copy, but I am not looking for a readymade
template, especially given the poor quality of most of the ones I've seen.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
.. .
Woo hoo!!!

The day you ask for any template, I'm tossing my computer out of the

window.
I figure if *you* can't do something without a template, I don't stand an
ice cube's chance in hell at being able to do it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The day I need a template for a grocery list, I'm handing in my mom

card.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Examples are different. Personally, I like examples and often search for
them. Templates are a completely different critter.

--

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman

I'm not quite sure how to take that...

B/

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:

What really scares me is that your comments make sense.That means I must
have missed my meds.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote: